feather

Opinions on Walkman Phones

Like the iPod, if you want to get the best sound quality from the Sony Ericsson Walkman phones, the first thing to do is to switch from the stock earbuds to a better pair of earphones. Pairing my Grado SR60's to the 3.5mm output of my W880i is great for casual listening (or try some other easy-to-drive earphones or IEM's). On complicated passages with cymbals or synthesized electronica, it starts to lose some clarity, but only if you really listen out for it.

I also make sure that my music files are encoded at a decent bitrate (mine are 192kbps VBR, minimum). As for EQ, I'm usually on Normal. The other settings like MegaBass gave a real kick to the bass at first, but started to sound artificial after a couple of songs.

As for comparisons, I think the SQ of the W880i is probably on par with my Zen V Plus. The Zen has more storage capacity and will go louder but I'll start losing whatever I have left of my precious hearing. I don't have an iPod, so can't comment there.

The new Walkman software is really slick and very responsive, displaying thumbnails of the album cover as the music plays. Battery life is also exemplary, with up to about 15 hrs of listening on 1 charge with minimal phone calls/SMSes. The transfer rate via USB from my computer to the phone is turtle-slow though, with a 5mb song taking at least 20-30sec. Not sure if that's just my computer acting up though.

Don't know why I'm not receiving notifications of this thread's reply even though I'm subscribed.

Anyway, I've been using the SE w880i with my UM2 for a week, and I am pleased with the sound quality. I only use it while commuting, so I'm not listening to my music with the full attention as someone doing a serious review. In fact I've not even compared the SQ with my 4th gen iPod :grin:

The only catch is not enough bass from the SE compared to my iPod, I have to use the bass boost EQ. However, I listen to electronic music, so maybe I'm used to more bass. The UM2 on the iPod definitely produced punchier bass with more body compared to the SE on no EQ.

Besides that, I've been totally satisfied pairing the phone with my IEMs, and impressed with the UI (new SE user) with regards to using the phone while listening to music.

:cans:

Don't know why I'm not receiving notifications of this thread's reply even though I'm subscribed.

Anyway, I've been using the SE w880i with my UM2 for a week, and I am pleased with the sound quality. I only use it while commuting, so I'm not listening to my music with the full attention as someone doing a serious review. In fact I've not even compared the SQ with my 4th gen iPod :grin:

The only catch is not enough bass from the SE compared to my iPod, I have to use the bass boost EQ. However, I listen to electronic music, so maybe I'm used to more bass. The UM2 on the iPod definitely produced punchier bass with more body compared to the SE on no EQ.

Besides that, I've been totally satisfied pairing the phone with my IEMs, and impressed with the UI (new SE user) with regards to using the phone while listening to music.

:cans:

Yup ur findings/tots are similar to mine. :beer: Bass is lacking a bit and its mids can be a bit flat at times. Using the EQ to boost bass is better than the Megabass. The UI is very good. BTW, W880i's keys are a little small?

Yup ur findings/tots are similar to mine. :beer: Bass is lacking a bit and its mids can be a bit flat at times. Using the EQ to boost bass is better than the Megabass. The UI is very good. BTW, W880i's keys are a little small?

Hmmm yeah I should consider using the EQ. At the moment I am using the Bass Boost setting, the Megabass setting made the bass too boomy for me.

w880i's keys are definitely a bit small, when I type SMS, can't do it by "touch," need to look at the screen to confirm what I'm typing :)) But otherwise no problems with the keys as the tactile feedback is quite good.

Hi guys, I have the w810i and a pair of XB and EX90, would like to ask if it's a good idea to go for a Tomahawk with my current setup? I intend to get a good pair of headphones later on and I read that the Tomahawk is pretty sufficient even for the likes of the k701, so it's also something like an investment? :D