Sign in to follow this  
wil

RS-2?

Hey everyone. happy new year to u guys!!!

Im thinking of upgrading my MS2i to a RS-2. Im using a headfive now. Was wondering if the amp is up to task here.

Im probably looking at abit more lushness and lucidity to the music while retaining the MS2i's detail. Will it work?

I know some would say tubes but budget does not allow for it!

It might work because wood cups tend to sound more rich then the metal ones, though when I heard the ms2i at Jaben I thought it was really good all-round.

As you are well aware the headfive doesn't exactly lend itself to the type of sound you're looking for, or at least, from my brief 1/2 hour listen with it, I don't think it does.

Why don't you consider selling your head-fi for a tube amp or any other amp instead? What Roasty told me when i tried his headfive was very interesting - that with his hd650 he just kept turning to the cheaper LD2 instead of the headfive. In fact, I think you should just grab a LD2 and try it. That will cost even less than an upgrade to the RS2, and the resale value is not low.

Also, if you're selling the headfive cheap I might consider... :grin:

It might work because wood cups tend to sound more rich then the metal ones, though when I heard the ms2i at Jaben I thought it was really good all-round.

As you are well aware the headfive doesn't exactly lend itself to the type of sound you're looking for, or at least, from my brief 1/2 hour listen with it, I don't think it does.

Why don't you consider selling your head-fi for a tube amp or any other amp instead? What Roasty told me when i tried his headfive was very interesting - that with his hd650 he just kept turning to the cheaper LD2 instead of the headfive. In fact, I think you should just grab a LD2 and try it. That will cost even less than an upgrade to the RS2, and the resale value is not low.

Also, if you're selling the headfive cheap I might consider... :grin:

The irony! i had the LD2+ before i sold it off to get the head five. LOL.

lol looks like only the most expensive tube amp will do for you. Burn a hole in your wallet and get something like the diva...if you manage to sell the headfive i think it won't cost much...

did you manage to a/b the ld2 and the headfive before you sold it?

lol looks like only the most expensive tube amp will do for you. Burn a hole in your wallet and get something like the diva...if you manage to sell the headfive i think it won't cost much...

did you manage to a/b the ld2 and the headfive before you sold it?

I did actually. To me the headfive sounded more coherent while the ld2+ while not bad sounding at all sounded slightly sluggish compared to the headfive. Both were more more less equally neutral ( I would consider the ld2+ to be one of the more neutral tubed amps i've heard ). The MS2i seemed to have more synergy with the headfive.

I would love to get my hands on the Cayin HA-1A again. ( i used to pair that with a Grado 325i. I still remember the sound...i fell in love with it! )

Hey wil, skip the rs2 and go for a used rs1....

I think the headfive is a good amp for light/night use especially since it looks like you will be listening to your speaker setup most of the time, nice upgrades by the way like the CEC.

Hey wil, skip the rs2 and go for a used rs1....

I think the headfive is a good amp for light/night use especially since it looks like you will be listening to your speaker setup most of the time, nice upgrades by the way like the CEC.

Hey bro.

i just remembered! I OWE U SOMETHING! check your pm! ( so sorry ! )

Im so tempted to sell away my old speaker rig to fund for a new amp and nice pair of cans. ( GS-1000 WOOHOO ). Im tempted to go for the RS-2 because it seems that many have said it to be more euphonic sounding than the RS-1 which is more detailed at the expense of the last bit of euphony ( i have heard the RS-1 but not the RS-2 )

Sigh. Decisions.

Here's my take,

Get the GS-1000 if you have the budget if not go for the RS-1 (but whatever you do dont compare the 2 at the same time if your budget cant get you the GS-1000). I had an RS-1 a couple of years ago and it was my reference headphone (until I got myself a HP-1 (ie the HP-1000 series with the better matched drivers and polarity switches). For me the SR-250 is also very good.

What you need to do is compare systems insted of just headphones then build you system accordingly. Since you have the CEC why dont you go to Music By Design and audition the RA-1 and the Grace with the RS-1. I'm not sure if MBD has a demo RS-2 on hand (they have every other model except the RS-2 somtime back before the arrival of the GS-1000). Also consider the Grado Signature interconnects. They are really very decent for the money.

BTW, I did try the GS-1000 and at some point I has every Grado model in my home. But, you should really listen for yourself.

Hey wil, thanks, I almost forgot about it.

Why don't you bring down your headfive to MBD and try audition the headphones you are interested in. And maybe you could add the MS-pro to your list.