belgarion

Creek OBH-11 --> Help !

I jus got this obh-11 amp from singnet classifieds, and i got this problem here ...

cos my source is jus a panasonic disman, i cant connect it to the amp. I need something which can connect from my discman jack to the amp. bascially is 3.5"jack to RCA

How ? i dont wan to compromise on the sound and get those from ntuc.... is there any good and ready made ones ??

thanks alot !

Get the mini to RCA jack made by Monster Cable available from Tat Chuan. Otherwise make one or get any hi-fi shop to make one for you. For a step up you can get a Kimber from Atlas Sound (order basis only).

I got myself monster cable interlink 400 from hung bros for 70 I think...

not bad.. using it out out my laptop to my amp.

Alternatively if you already have a pair of interconnects you could just get an RCA to mini jack. In practice there is no real big difference in sound since you are only using a PCDP.

Actually, depending on you headphone the Creek may not be the right choice. It's meant to be used with a regular CD Player that outputs 2 V while the PCDP only outputs 0.6 v (about 1/4). So if your headphone is on the insensitive side 94 dB you may find that you'll have to crank the vol pot to max ot near max. Solution? Either keep the Creek and get a home CD player or sell the Creek and get a portable amp. I imposed self-censorship in my last post because I sell a portable amp and so it might be construded as bias or shamless selling LOL.

However, if you have a Grado or other sensitive headphones then it should be okay.

As a general rule of thumb the normal listening volume should be between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock (where 7 o'clock is zero volume and 5 o'clock is max volume). Look at a watch or clock if you don't unterstand what I mean. Of course on some amps zero volume is 6 o'clock. Basically the mid point is the best place to be in terms of channel balance for all carbon film pots including the Alps Blue.

yeap I tried the OBH 11 via a panasonic discman and a AKG 501. Had to turn it to almost max before reaching a comfortable volume.

I think Sony discman line outs are slightly louder than panasonic ones. Not really sure on this though. Haven't had a sony discman for years.

In my case my Sony EJ1000 PCDP's line out is outputing 0.7V. It is slightly louder if as rameish said the norm is 0.6V

yea, im using grado sr80 ... the volume has to be turned till 11-1 as rameish has said ...

i bought a pair of diy interconnects from lhs, sim lim tower. the sound is alot better than w/o amp. Im very pleased with it rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Belgarion,

That's good to hear (pun unintended). When you have the funds, put some money into a CD Player like a Marantz CD4000. The Creek and Grado combo are good enough to reveal any source upgrade. Enjoy the music.