Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Need help to build

Since there has been so much indifference to actually build this amp. I'm gonna bite the bullet & get round to building one. I can get all the schematics & 'how tos' from headwize & tangent's website however I need the help & support from kind SHG DIY members to source for me (at my cost) the parts required for this project, as so far my search for them here has proved zilch.

Hopefully I can practice my soldering soon by making my own female RCA to 1/8" mini cable (for TV decoder -> headphone amp connection). Hopefully the female RCA cable will be available here rolleyes.gif

Any tips, tricks & words of encouragement are greatly appreciated by this petrified DIY n00b! unsure.gif

damn. I've been meaning to do this too, you beat me to it rolleyes.gif

have you done any soldering at all N@Z?

The best tutorial is the one at tangent. Actually I built my 1st cmoy base on the layout at Tangent's site. The layout is small enough to squeeze into those Hudson Jujubes mint box.

Dont forget cream for burns and fire insurance for the house! laugh.gif

More importantly, work in a well ventilated environment and avoid breathing in the fumes.

Always wipe the soldering iron tip on the wet sponge just before every soldering joint (once it turns yellow, wipe)

Use minimal amount of solder

Dont leave iron on components longer than u need to wet the solder and let it stick

Make sure you solder only when the iron is properly heated (ie solder melt when they touch the iron tip)

A pcb holder helps when ur working alone

Or you can just pour your love into it without regard for you body.

Ablaze, the last time I held a soldering iron was over a decade ago!

Thanks for the tips & well wishes so far guys. Now all I need is for someone to help with supplying the parts, any takers?

For the time being the PCB will probably be the size of Texas since this is going be my first circuit. Past soldering was done for (badly!) terminating cabling work to RCA plugs etc.

10 years ago? wow smile.gif

anyway, perhaps you could post down exactly what parts you need, to see if we can help yes.gif

How does 'EVERYTHING' sound? Ok, I'll try to find the exact list from headwize.