nfcj

Bossa Nova and Jazz

sry guys, i am a newbie to these genres can anyone recommend me some nice bossa nova and jazz because would like something new and different. thnx..and who is the original singer for "sway"

Edited by nfcj

sry guys, i am a newbie to these genres can anyone recommend me some nice bossa nova and jazz because would like something new and different. thnx..and who is the original singer for "sway"

Try going to THAT cd shop. THey haf quite gd selections. The Bossa nova with 24bit and 192kb recordings are very gd. If im not wrong they having some offer now for their audiophile voices and love songs editions. Can get 3 for $49.90.

Highly recommended:-

1. "The Composer of Desafinado Plays"

2. "Wave"

- Both by Antonio Carlos Jobim

3. "Jazz Samba" - A C Jobim & Stan Getz / tenor sax (with Luiz Bonfa / Guitarist)

Enjoy.

:))

1. "The Composer of Desafinado Plays"

2. "Wave"

- Both by Antonio Carlos Jobim

3. "Jazz Samba" - A C Jobim & Stan Getz / tenor sax (with Luiz Bonfa / Guitarist)

Enjoy.

:))

Jobim n Stan Getz plays real wicked stuff....mesmerizing!!!

1. "The Composer of Desafinado Plays

2. "Jazz Samba" - A C Jobim & Stan Getz / tenor sax (with Luiz Bonfa / Guitarist)

Yeah the two above are gd jazz tracks!

I’d bought my first copy of “Jazz Samba†w-a-a-y back in 1969 or thereabout.

The artistry of & the chemistry amongst the players was evident from the first note.

Joao Gilberto with his unique way of singing, the way the melody floats and ride on the rhythm section makes you want to listen to it again and again.

Even today, nearly 40 years later, I’m still enjoying it, discovering some new nuances with my Westone UM2 & Hornet amp. .

There was a follow-up album called (appropriately) “Jazz Samba Encoreâ€. It’s good but somehow it couldn’t further that ground-breaking synthesis of bossa-nova & jazz.

Try going to THAT cd shop. THey haf quite gd selections. The Bossa nova with 24bit and 192kb recordings are very gd. If im not wrong they having some offer now for their audiophile voices and love songs editions. Can get 3 for $49.90.

I’d bought my first copy of “Jazz Samba†w-a-a-y back in 1969 or thereabout.

The artistry of & the chemistry amongst the players was evident from the first note.

Joao Gilberto with his unique way of singing, the way the melody floats and ride on the rhythm section makes you want to listen to it again and again.

Even today, nearly 40 years later, I’m still enjoying it, discovering some new nuances with my Westone UM2 & Hornet amp. .

There was a follow-up album called (appropriately) “Jazz Samba Encoreâ€. It’s good but somehow it couldn’t further that ground-breaking synthesis of bossa-nova & jazz.

Yup it is a classic! I have abt 3 edtions only. Haha when they release the new one i prob will get it.

Wow 1969?

I've just started listening about 3 to 4 years back....

Seriously had not imagined I would enjoy such music coming from way back to 1960s...

Somehow I feel rather sad...because most of the newer artistes simply cannot compare to them...

Yup.

1-9-6-9. give 1 or 2 years either way.

Came in the original 12" vinyl LP.

Then, when the CD version appeared, bought it but the sound couldn't be compared to the original analogue version.

I think the latest is a 24K gold version by Mobile-Fidelity.

It has never been out of print.

This is one of those rare 'evergreens'.

Wow 1969?

I've just started listening about 3 to 4 years back....

Seriously had not imagined I would enjoy such music coming from way back to 1960s...

Somehow I feel rather sad...because most of the newer artistes simply cannot compare to them...

If you can find it, there's a 3-disc commerative set for Jobim. Disc 1 vocals, disc 2 instrumentals, disc 3 comparisons. It's a very good compilation, die die must buy.

Also check out Ana Caram, under Chesky. Very accomplished Brazilian singer. Jobim was once her mentor.

Don't listen to Lisa Ono. After you've heard the real thing, Lisa Ono sounds bad. She's singing bossa, but the feeling is not quite there.

For that matter, I feel that Stan Getz isn't his best at bossa nova as well. His best works are still in jazz. Somehow the Brazilians and Latin Americans still play their own music the best, e.g. Paquito D Rivera.

After you're familiar with Brazilian music, you can check out Bossa Cuca Nova, a group which does very very good dancy versions of Brazilian music.

Sway is orginally by Dean Martin. A lot of singers also perform it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_%28song%29

Regards

CK

If you can find it, there's a 3-disc commerative set for Jobim. Disc 1 vocals, disc 2 instrumentals, disc 3 comparisons. It's a very good compilation, die die must buy.

Also check out Ana Caram, under Chesky. Very accomplished Brazilian singer. Jobim was once her mentor.

Don't listen to Lisa Ono. After you've heard the real thing, Lisa Ono sounds bad. She's singing bossa, but the feeling is not quite there.

For that matter, I feel that Stan Getz isn't his best at bossa nova as well. His best works are still in jazz. Somehow the Brazilians and Latin Americans still play their own music the best, e.g. Paquito D Rivera.

After you're familiar with Brazilian music, you can check out Bossa Cuca Nova, a group which does very very good dancy versions of Brazilian music.

Individual preferences i suppose, I do pretty much like Lisa Ono....

For Ana Caram wise she's pretty good....In fact I do like lot's of artistes under Chesky Records....Just that harder to get over here....

Latest purchase was Michael Buble's Call Me Irresponsible....Not bad too.... :P

Jazz is quite a wide and often misunderstood term. It's roots date back to both folk and blues music and also includes "pop" of a bygone era. It's basically improvisation of music where the musicians often go off on tangents depending on the mood. In a sense it's having fun with music. This can also be done by vocalists. Bossa Nova is one latin branch of Jazz.

Hardcore Jazz: Miles Davis/John Coltrane

Bossa Nova: answered already in the posts above

Pop Jazz: Ella/ Louis/ Billie/ etc

Cuban Jazz:

Fusion Jazz: Yuch phui! Sorry :-)

Any1 seen the following albums by Klazz Brothers "Jazz meets Cuba" "Classic meets Cuba"

Found a copy of "Classic Meets Cuba" by Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion at the pasar malam...

printed by 上海声像出版社 (Shanghai Shengxiang Chubanshe) under license of Sony Classical

Edited by petia