nfcj

Bossa Nova and Jazz

Any1 seen the following albums by Klazz Brothers "Jazz meets Cuba" "Classic meets Cuba"

Found a copy of "Classic Meets Cuba" by Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion at the pasar malam...

printed by 上海声像出版社 (Shanghai Shengxiang Chubanshe) under license of Sony Classical

I got Jazz Meets Cuba... i think....

Gold color packaging yeah?

i found the recording of Getz/Gilberto Vol.2: Live at Carnegie Hall pretty wicked. recorded in 1964 i think.

I got the Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall also....haha doubly wicked

There are countless styles of Bossa Nova and Jazz, and music, as we know, is quite a subjective thing. So I'd recommend that you go to a place where they let you audition CDs from these two genres. That CD Shop in Orchard (near Lido) is pretty good - lots of listening stations, and the staff there are very patient and don't mind if you try out numerous CDs, though you'll probably want to buy at least 1 after that! Start with compilation albums, of course, and just work your way through.

yeah my cd is gold color packaging too.

i wanted to buy a couple of flac albums off linn records but i cant decide between the 16bit cd quality or the 24bit studio master quality.

i dl samples of both and couldn't tell is there a diff or is it a placebo effect after using random playback to test.

my ears not good enuf i guess.

I think not many people can tell the difference either. If I'm not wrong 24-bit is beyond reproduce-able limits of conventional players. So you need a special player to start with.

As a purchase, I guess it is a good idea to get the better quality version for storage and rip it to 16-bit for listening. Perhaps 1 day conventional players will support 24-bit.

I'm no pro though.

Jazz is quite a wide and often misunderstood term. It's roots date back to both folk and blues music and also includes "pop" of a bygone era. It's basically improvisation of music where the musicians often go off on tangents depending on the mood. In a sense it's having fun with music. This can also be done by vocalists. Bossa Nova is one latin branch of Jazz.

Hardcore Jazz: Miles Davis/John Coltrane

Bossa Nova: answered already in the posts above

Pop Jazz: Ella/ Louis/ Billie/ etc

Cuban Jazz:

Fusion Jazz: Yuch phui! Sorry :-)

What is "hardcore" jazz? Never heard of this genre. :)

I would highly recomment getz/gilberto for bossa nova.

Any1 seen the following albums by Klazz Brothers "Jazz meets Cuba" "Classic meets Cuba"

Found a copy of "Classic Meets Cuba" by Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion at the pasar malam...

printed by 上海声像出版社 (Shanghai Shengxiang Chubanshe) under license of Sony Classical

For cuban music check out anything by buena vista social club. I guess it can be classified as Jazz.