skidz

Help on exposed wire

I bought my sennheiser mx55 just over a month ago. The cable was kinda spiraling abit but didn't bother me much until the rubber began to tear up and exposing the wires. I tried taping them up but soon more tears began to show, its in such a bad state now. Are there shops in Singapore that can fix it? Recabling it or something.

i think its better for u to replace it rather then fixing it or recable it

i think your left with 1 option now thats to replace it -_-

well, if it's still working fine and you're not too bothered about it looking not as nice I have 2 suggestions

1) buy some heat shrink tubing, use it to cover the exposed wire, and then use a soldering iron to make the tubing shrink to fit. Will look prettier than (2), but requires some diy skill

2) what tape did you use to tape it? Try black electrical tape and tape it.

Edited by loop_

Thanks loop...I was thinking on the shrink tube, but its too hard isn't it? I'm currently using the duct tape now, I'm taping it in a way that it won't easily come out. The shrink tube looked a better solution though.

I suggest you start finding a new pair. Probability dictates it'll break very soon. Experienced the same problem before... got worse quickly.

yea ideally you should get a new one. but if you don't care about looks can save money...yes I think heat shrink tubing would be good, in fact you can use heat shrink and duct tape the ends so it is less likely to move around. but i think the tape is really good enough so long as the wire is in place and is not getting worse.

pictures? might shed some light on alternative solutions

Ok, will try to post a pic later. Not going to be so soon for me to spend another $60 for another pair of earphones. This is the most expensive I've bought and the best so far but if I were to buy a new pair I'd buy this again.

hi , first sorry skidz, need to borrow your thread as my superfi 3 cables also have the same problem. :DD

Hey guys, i was wondering whether the clear cable that is used in super fi 3 can be bought ? :blush:

Edited by frost_ink

We sell the clear, black and white cable for UE superfi series, you can PM me for further info.

I when to your shop to get the black cable 2 days ago, it was a very busy period, not sure whether you remember, anyway thanks for the info :))

well, if it's still working fine and you're not too bothered about it looking not as nice I have 2 suggestions

1) buy some heat shrink tubing, use it to cover the exposed wire, and then use a soldering iron to make the tubing shrink to fit. Will look prettier than (2), but requires some diy skill

2) what tape did you use to tape it? Try black electrical tape and tape it.

actually will soldering impose more noise too it? more resistance?

actually will soldering impose more noise too it? more resistance?

I read somewhere that soldering may affect the properties of the conductor close to where you solder due to the high heat. Not very sure on that, but what I did was to use a hairdryer to heat the heat shrink tube, may take a longer time but at least the tube shrinks nicely with no visible marks. I did this with my power cable plugs. You will need a tube just about twice the diameter of your cable so when it shrinks, it becomes a tight fit and won't slide up and down.