Sign in to follow this  
skidz

IEM phones

I'm very new to this thing so anyone can explain abit whats so special about them? I bought a headphone amp thinking it might improve the sound quality but so far I can't hear much difference. I use sennheiser's mx55 and a headphone ( can't remember the model, I'm at work now). Must I really get an EIM phones to hear the difference? and are all of them the earbuds type, those you have to insert into your ears? Thanks for any help.

Hi there,

Basically IEMs are for transit usage like going to MRT, bus etc. It is to provide a total if not maximum listening experience as it helps to limit the external sounds.

now Shures are new series coming out, you might want to check.. :D

So they basically are the type of earphones that has to be inserted into the ear? and earphones like mx55 and standard headphones won't be that useful to go with the amp? My Sennheiser headphone is the $40 range so you can guess which model.

just go to jaben, or contact eugen3 on the forum about the Mylarones,for $40, you will be amazed, moreover with an amp, they really shine. of course your source must be good as well, no point amping 128KBPS songs IMO.

since there will literally be no difference except for you being able to blast them at volumes you never heard before.

So the quality will be better than my mx55? To me the mx55 has good clarity and nice bass, if Mylarones are able to top that with the use the amp then I'll sure go for it and might even get better iem phones.

If you're using the earbud types, I think the Mylarones and IEMs will easily top them where details is concerned.

The most important thing is preference though. Something that the crowd say is better, you may not like because it has too little bass, or too little treble, or (as you mentioned) you can't hear the difference anyway.

There's very little point in amping IEMs because by their very nature, they usually perform well even at low power. Plus, they go deep into your ears and block out a lot of external noise, so it's quite easy to hear a lot of details at low volume.

While people do use IEMs with an amp, the difference is usually not day-and-night.