fu01

CD source difference?

oh dear only till today then i know there are differences in SQ when played with different sources.. i thought brandless discman vs a branded cd player will be the same. >_<

Back in the days when I'm still using discman, I can also hear the diff between Sony and Panasonic discman.

But between those $150s - $300 discman under same brand, seldom you can hear and difference....

Anyway I just bought the CD-17 MKIII, very worth it...

The Marantz CD17 (in its various iterations) is a decent mid-range CDP for those new to Head/Hi-fi. Feel free to share your impressions with us, fu01.

It does not support SACD.

Get the nad c542. Lets just say I've had options to upgrade to cd players below $2000 and I'm still sticking to my nad. Excellent cd player. To me the difference from my previous cd player, the marantz cd5400 ( I used to love this budget player) and the nad c542 was night and day. I even preferred it to the rega. Maybe it's because of the type of music I listen to. I listen to a lot of rock and acoustic stuff. Blues as well. ( e.g. john mayer, 3 doors down, dishwalla )

well, my setup as below:

CD17-MK3 -> heed canamp -> Audio Technica ATH A950LTD/AKG K501

after a couple of days with the new source, I can say the most impressive part is how musical the music sounds. Its bass is not too heavy but mid-range is ok. Most suitable for newage/jazz/vocal. As for classical music, it depends on the cd recordings itself. If use this CDP on pop music, i can only say it is a waste on a CDP, as a budget CD5001 can also do a pretty good job on pop music.

If there is any CD17-MK3 users around, I would strongly recommend you all to revisit the player with Michael Hedges's guitar solos. Words can only say so much on how impressed I am.

One more important point I wished to add is that this player really tells you the difference between a normal mastered cd and those audiophile recording. With this player, the quality of the cd can be clearly differentiated. Suddenly, corrinne may, susan wong sound so much nicer.

To be fair, I have not tried a wide range of sources so I cannot say this CDP is the best around in the market. But to me, it is well worth it. I bought the last piece from KEC, so folks, need to try your luck elsewhere if intend to get this player. By the way, this model has long been discontinued.....

P.S. - Pardon me for my poor language, I am not good at describing music, but after all, this hobby really varies to each individual.

Have personally tried with only x-fi xtreme music soundcard, don't think it is considered 'high-end'. But need to take note is if using computer, u are playing via the cd/dvd-rom. your dac is actually on the soundcard itself. The focus is different as compared to a CDP. Soundcard their focus is only producing sound for games/effects. But CDP need to sound more musical. In my own opinion, cannot compare computer and CDP together.

We'll also have to consider the fact that the way CDPs read the CDs is rather different from the PC's CD/DVD-rom.

On the other hand, there are some CDPs that are using CD-roms as part of their transports...

How abt the cambridge audios? haha they won the cd player of the year for 4 years running. The maranz 5001 is a gd buy for its price tho.

I agree with Fire_jk18. I personally have the 640C v2 and it sounds darn good. I suggest you audition all the models you are interested in. Different Brands have different sound signatures.

And dun forget, 640c v2 is using 2 x Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/192kHz DACs in dual differential configuration for improved stereo performance. This takes the cake home.

My experience is :

1) The higher the bit, the thinner is the sound. 24bit vs. 16bit.

2) The quality of the output stage is the most tweakable part. You can Op-amp roll if you know what you're doing.

3) Design of digital product is more importatnt than the quality of the parts. Really need to know why its better to use certain thing in certain position. Its a different ball game compared to analog products.