DemonicAngelz

Making custom ICs

I have not done an interconnect or headphone cable using braided wires but I do have a bit of experience with using them for wiring sockets to pcb. Before you solder the ends, it is better to use heatshrink to bundle up the braid and prevent it from unraveling. It can be very frustrating, if the wires are stiff and try to unravel when you are soldering.

Sorry I dun catch you. :think:

If i use heatstrink to bundle up, then how to solder?

just use the heatshrink to bundle up the braid slightly before then ends, because braids tend to unravel i.e. the 4 wires come apart....for me i just use masking tape...heat shrink not cheap you know...

masking tape leave sticky residue unless you use the quality type which is also not cheap... :)

just use the heatshrink to bundle up the braid slightly before then ends, because braids tend to unravel i.e. the 4 wires come apart....for me i just use masking tape...heat shrink not cheap you know...

I see what you mean now. I was thinking of the same thing as well.

put sleeve already nobody can see sticky or not... :))

Yah lah but I have to handle the sticky mess before it gets covered. :grin:

ok uncle heady you win :notworthy:

donch lah, just having some fun. I also use masking tape quite often but the problem comes when removing them. So I use just a small piece of heatshrink. Only about 5mm.

About the cable quality thing, is the quality the same if like I get both silver and copper 26AWG cables from Homegrown Audio?

Cause I not very sure what you mean by cable quality here. How can copper and silver be same quality? You mean purity?

Quality is subjective, you'll have to try for yourself. Copper would be more forgiving if the album recording is poor and/or harsh.

Sorry about the confusing statement on quality. Basically the ground wire should be the same as the hot one as both affect the sound you hear. If you use cheap steel ground wire for the ground, its sonic characteritic (bright, harsh) will show even if you used some warm and slow sounding wire for the hot.

Okay. I bought the wires and braided them.

BUT. I forgot to label the wires. Now I have a bunch of unlabeled wires and don't know which is which.

I feel stupid. Currently waiting to see if any of my friends has one (slim chance) or I'd get a cheap one on friday.

Get a cheap multimeter, they have a continuity function that beeps when the 2 probes touch the same wire, useful for ur situation.

OKAY! I have finally finished up my project.

Total damage = $1xx with soldering iron (Mine spoiled) and multimeter.

First attempt failed. Somehow the soldering points broke. I think its the connector thats not well built. I using the Neutrik ones. I cut off the white part because its too thick. That might have cause the first one to break.

Now. SECOND attempt succeeded.

Results?

Preliminary results show that it somehow maintained the details of the silver cable and added in the bass of the copper wire. This is I feel rather good, but somehow the detailed highs makes the bass which was slightly muffled sound even more muffled.

I used 22AWG cables, which although the length used was not long, it had a significant amount of resistance and I found myself tuning up the volume on the amplifier although the sound I listened to was the same.

But all these are just my opinions. Does anyone want to try listening to these? :) Maybe I shall bring down to Jaben's one day.

erh wat are braids? And what kind of soldering do u use? I heard it affects the sound.

Cos i was thinking of making custom IC myself demonicAngelz must educate me on this. Thx dude. Btw mixture of silver and copper is gd rite. That way takes care of the bass and the trebles. Am i rite?

erh wat are braids? And what kind of soldering do u use? I heard it affects the sound.

Cos i was thinking of making custom IC myself demonicAngelz must educate me on this. Thx dude. Btw mixture of silver and copper is gd rite. That way takes care of the bass and the trebles. Am i rite?

I used silver soldering. I bought at AVITs together.

Braids are how you tie the cables together.

Nah, I decided I did not like it very much. True you can hear both high and low, the detailed highs makes the muffled lows very obvious.

Some may like it, some may not. Its all up to you actually. :unsure: