Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

dt880 cord changed

IT'S OVER!!

and what can i say??!

it sounds GREAT!!

it may be psychoacoustics coupled with the euphoria of having completed my projct successfully, but the somehow the soundstage sounds wider than before.

party.gifparty.gifparty.gif

pics coming soon people, stay tuned!

Edited by adhoc

there were so many many many many problems.

first, my ridiculous school schedule. then parents forcing me to do anything except solder.

then there was the search for a suitable strain relief for the headphone.

then, the neutrik plug i got somehow refused to stick to my solder no matter how long i heated it and cleaned it..

then trial and error caused the usage (wastage) of ~3m of canare.

then i accidentally damaged the wire going over from the left enclosure to the right, which neccessitated a search for a suitable wire to replace it.

then i got pretty badly burned too on my leg when my soldering iron dropped on it- if 22W can do such damage, i shudder to think what would happen if i had used, a say, 150W iron. fear.gif

Good Job laugh.gif Hope it was worth the hassle headphone.gif

still no pics? wink.gif

btw, adhoc, did you have difficulty with the 22W iron and your solder?

and, did you include pics on your 'soldered' leg? tongue.gif

pics.. wait!

i borrowed a fujifilm cam from a teacher but i forgot to get the cable to connect to it to the computer! tmw i'm going to a friend's house to use his smartmedia reader to get the photos off the cam and onto a computer..

have about 200 photos, including some of my soldered leg too. lol.gif

i didnt have any 'problems', but it did take slightly longer to melt the solder than normal. also, it took incredibly long for me to heat up my plug enough to melt the solder onto it to properly make a contact.

Edited by adhoc

jtfoo, it's really simple.

first you remove the velour pad

then you simply insert a small and thin flat headed screwdriver (jewellers screwdriver) in any gap you see along the edge and pry the snap-in cover off like you would pry a cover off a tin of milo.

then you'll see the driver, be careful! tear the paper and that's it!

now look for a 'notch' along the edge and insert the same screwdriver and do the same prying action.

if you pry carefully you wont damage the plastic at all.

Wonderful! U've earned yourself a "Purple Heart" in this venture of yours. Looks like Robert of LHS will see a rise in sales volume of his cables in the weeks/months ahead.

I'm looking forward to the pictures too, adhoc. Congrats! Perhaps U could also write a review of how the improved 880 sounds after full burn-in?

no problem.

however i think i should lend my cans to one of you in order to make an unbiased judgement about a/b-ing. you up for it mackie? biggrin.gif

alamak sorry guys cant make good on my promise to have pictures up by today. just went to my friend's house to upload pictures onto his com via his flash card reader when i realised to my horror that his card reader accepts compactflash, memory stick, but NOT smart media! mad.gif

will have to upload pics at school tmw via my teacher (who i borrowed the cam from)

ah, but well you know what they say, you always have to wait in life for the good things..

hm.. smart media... not very universal tongue.gif

CF is still more widely used.. esp by canon, nikon etc

Hm ok we shall wait patiently. Adhoc, when r u going to mackie house to compare with his stock? hmm can't wait to hear the difference laugh.gif

I think a review of adhoc's 880 post cable change is not as vital and interesting as the steps leading to completion of this job. I forsee some current owners will follow suit and swap cables to their hearts' content. Maybe then, we will have a thread dedicated to the sound of 880s with different cables.

yeah.... I agree with you mackie. But I am curious how the beyer's stock compares to the other cables. biggrin.gif