Sign in to follow this  
sputnik00

advice on IEM

hi all

am not very familiar with IEMs but am thinking of getting a pair to go with my iaudio U3 and md players.

budget about $150-200.

genre of music mainly lots of vocals and instruments.

present phones are CK7s and PX200s. strangely enough, i find that my CK7s go better with my U3 and the PX200 with my md players. not sure if it's just my imagination.

like the clarity on the CK7s but it's a bit bright on higher registers.

appreciate your views. thanks!

I suggest the Westone UM1s. Good reviews are about them everywhere. Just a click away.

I am using one myself too. I like these because they use a good cable which offers great sound with no microphonics problem. Good for on-the-go users as I use them on my portable setup.

Alternatively you can buy the MylarThrees, a pair of earphones which I fancy as well, offers great sound quality for the price, with a entry level amp for that price. However the cables on the MylarThrees are rather thin and will produce microphonics (Sound distortion when the cable is rubbed against your shirt), this problem can be solved with a clip and wearing it over the ears like the UM1s according to uncle Wilson, but its too troublesome for me.

Edited by DemonicAngelz

thanks DemonicAngelz.

have read reviews on the mylar phones, they seem to perform well with amps. i don't intend to go down the amp route so they are probably not for me.

guess there's no way to know the difference between the UM1s and my CK7s except to test them out for myself. in terms of character though, are they quite different in your opinion?

cheers

thanks DemonicAngelz.

have read reviews on the mylar phones, they seem to perform well with amps. i don't intend to go down the amp route so they are probably not for me.

guess there's no way to know the difference between the UM1s and my CK7s except to test them out for myself. in terms of character though, are they quite different in your opinion?

cheers

Found a nice thread for you. I feel that CK7 is too shrill in the high ends.

Took my bet with the UM1s in the end.

thanks for the link DemonicAngelz.

if i increased my budget to $200-250, would there be other IEMs that are like the CK7s but not as bright on the top?

cheers

thanks for the link DemonicAngelz.

if i increased my budget to $200-250, would there be other IEMs that are like the CK7s but not as bright on the top?

cheers

I think this one you can ask around here. Maybe some of the resident Gurus can give you a better answer.

If you ask me I'd get the UM1s and stick with it until I have enough $$ for UM2 or even the new UM3 coming out.

I think you should not discount the CK7 without auditioning it yourself. I use the CK7 and I hate shrill treble. Not a contradiction, as I don't find the CK7 shrill. I use it amped and unamped, with a Creative DAP and a PINT amp. If you know the PINT, it can be bright too.

I think this one you can ask around here. Maybe some of the resident Gurus can give you a better answer.

If you ask me I'd get the UM1s and stick with it until I have enough $$ for UM2 or even the new UM3 coming out.

good line of thinking.

for me, slight diff, i'd get the Mylar1 or 3, stick with it until i've saved up for UM2 or even the upcoming Westone 3 (not UM3 which is commonly mistaken for).

If you aren't very particular about bass, then I suggest you give Etymotic ER6i a try. I think they going for <S$220 at Stereo. I recently bought Super.Fi 5 Pro to replace by broken (my bad) ER6i and I definitely like high and midrange of my ER6i better. If you are into vocal and instrumental ER6i will suit you very well.

Also you'll like it better than a lot of other models if this is your first IEM. ER6i is very 'uncomplicated' compared to a lot of others (no wires going around ears, and tri-flanges will give you a decent fit from the first day), and also they are very tiny and hardly noticable.

Only bad thing is wires in ER6i carry noise (rubbing against, tapping etc..) very well, so will annoy you for first few weeks, but u'll get over it.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

Edited by pramilainc

good line of thinking.

for me, slight diff, i'd get the Mylar1 or 3, stick with it until i've saved up for UM2 or even the upcoming Westone 3 (not UM3 which is commonly mistaken for).

Wops. I stand corrected. :wacko:

wow. thanks for all the comments. food for thought definately.

pramilainc: have read some comments that the etys provide pretty neutral reproductions for vocals and instrumental tracks. if that's true, then i'd probably try and take a listen to them.

Etys are probably one of the more neutral earphones but they are also one of the least bass. if you are a person that doesnt mind that, ety are probably one of the best out there. I do find them harder to drive then most other phones but nothing too hard for a normal dap.

Its best u actually go down somewhere and try all of them then hear us say though. Maybe different from what we feel.

When you purchase your IEMs, remember to try them with the foam tips. Most of the time it gives the best fit and SQ. (but you'll have to change it once in a short while... and it gets kinda gross over time) you'll find the "missing" bass in the etys :)