Sign in to follow this  
Guest drumstick

"PC as source" questions

Guest drumstick

hi guys, I have a couple of questions.

I'm upgrading my computer soon and will be using headphones(maybe HD555). I have read great reviews and comparisons between fubar2 and emu0404, 1212 etc. Besides listening to songs, I intend to watch movies and do a bit of gaming. As such, what should be the recommended set-up? I have 3 options in mind, but not sure whether they are plausible and able to serve my needs, and which is the best.

A) PC-> x-fi xtremeMusic-> Fubar2(or emu0404) -> headphone amp -> headphones

B) PC -> Fubar2(or emu0404) -> headphone amp -> headphones

C) PC -> x-fi xtremeMusic-> headphones

Of the 3 options, will option A be the "best"? Is it possible to link the x-fi to DAC and yet enjoy the 3D sound of x-fi? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I go by option B, will my movie experience be drastically reduced? Is there a great difference if I go ahead with option C? If the difference is small, then I might as well save the money and just connect the headphones to the sound card directly.

Also, I do not quite like the idea of switching to x-fi when gaming/watching movie, and to DAC when listening to music.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Edited by drumstick

i can't advise on which setup because I haven't used it, but i would say that those 6.1/7.1 cards for gaming are more suitable for a speaker setup with like 6 monitors and 1 subwoofer (hence 6.1). A pair of headphones is just 2 monitors (stereo), so you won't get a real like 3d effect thing.

That said, my headphone and amp with a cheap usb dac (stereo sound) still gives me some of those 'head turning' moments, but mainly from left to right than front and back...I'd say don't worry so much about surround and go for a system that will sound best for music. If you have that, I think even when gaming you'll have a good time.