Sign in to follow this  
bluetin.com

impressed with Jaben

strange that this is coming from a competing business? well, that shows how true this compliment is.

a while back, i, and the distributor, were out of stock on a certain model, and there was a keen customer. to make the sale, i had no choice but was just about to buy it off the shelf from a local shop, before i thought, ah, why not just call jaben.

friendly wilson instantly agreed to let me have his stock, and at COST price! i was really surprised, but of course, pleased. i strongly offered to pay more, but he was so cool about it, insisted that there is really no need.

when i went to collect, he impressed me further by saying that i can just take it now, no need to pay anything, and just give him back another piece when our common distributor has stock again. again, i offered to pay more, and again, he generously declined. i ended up just walking off his store with an over $300 headphone. just like that.

if wilson, jaben can be so trusting and generous to a competing store, imagine what he can do for u as the customer. i know his reputation is already top notch and surely doesnt need any inching up from me, but i just want to tell the community how impressed i was.

that said, pls dont wildly suspect there is any collusion between us. that will be very uncool.

Edited by bluetin.com

:shocking: woah~~ breathtakingly good. angel?

to think that i've worked in that building for 3 months.. (that was b4 i came across this forum)

i wud hav dropped in jaben n make fren with wilson.. try those good good headphones hehe.

which level is jaben in?

You sure despair much...

indeed!

Fact is that Wilson is definitely someone worth knowing. Most of us know that already!

The whole Jaben controversy is really intriguing imo. Whilst he managed to get a real close knit set of loyal customers (nothing like the seige mentality to create bonds), What we got were:

1) a flood of angry members quitting,

2) 2 previously active Mods disappearing (the UK and Singapore Cabinets are bound by the theory of collective responsibility. This means that all Ministers must publicly support decisions made by the Cabinet. If they disagree, or can't support something, they resign. Or maybe in this case the mods just got sick of the hostile (ex)members, so japalang everybody quit :think: )

3) a new forum which is clearly hostile, and

4) an inability to get the episode out of our system, because half of our members know Wilson anyway!

That said I wouldn't say the mods' decision was wrong per se, though I did disagree with it. Political decisions are always difficult, and always fun to talk about with the benefit of hindsight. :P

Nevertheless, if the mods prefer not to allow such discussion please just delete this post, but please don't give me a warning! I just thought these observations were worth noting....

Edited by loop_

I believe the mods have stated before, they have nothing personal against Wilson/Jaben, and despite the incident (you can still read a little bit of it stickied at the top of the Lounge), I feel there's no reason to doubt them on that.

Sure, some members left hostile and bitter, but the way it seems to me, people just go on with their lives.

As long as the thread doesn't degrade into a flame war, it'll still be around.

:bash::b2t

Thumbs up to great service for enthusiasts by enthusiasts :D

Edited by radioactive28

Since I've only been in Singapore since September I consider myself pretty neutral. I hadn't heard of Jaben until I saw the petty squabbling going on on this forum which made me curious. I knew about Stereo but it's a bit out of the way for me. I still like the shop though and visit whenever I go cross the border to JB. It was the first shop that let me try out all the headphones and ic's I wanted without pushing anything!

I still don't understand why a small place like Singapore needs two fora. My hope is that one day the fora will merge so everyone can write on the same site instead of going to two (or three, including head-fi) fora to exchange views and experiences. Off course there is a commercial rivalry when you're in the same business (look at what's happening to my employer, ABN AMRO) but in the end the low budget-high end audio business doesn't lend itself to politics and division. It's simply too small a market.

Anyway, since I met Wilson and the headphonehaven crew I try to go to the Friday meets as much as I can.Even though I haven't bought much (yet) I have always found Wilson's hospitality the best I have yet experienced. I consider him a friend more than a regular shopkeeper. It's refreshing to see someone who is more interested in the hobby itself then in commercial gain as long as it doesn't interfere with good commercial sense. I hope both shops will do well for a long time :party:

The decision has been made, so let's just move on. There's no point harping on it. With or without the benefit of hindsight, there is obviously subtle baiting in some posts above, and as always, I think you'd be disappointed to know that we are beyond the point of taking the bait and starting another 'flamewar' as radioactive aptly put.

As for loop_'s post, I am not sure which mods he's referring to, but I think I know one well-respected mod who has left/stopped posting due to personal reasons, which I implore members in the know not to discuss due to the sensitive nature of the issue.

Finally, you are welcome to post/discuss anything as long as it is not against our forum rules and regulations, and of course, the law.

Let's not detract any further from the spirit of this thread, which is to give kudos to those who deserve it.

P.S. I speak for myself and not the administator nor the other moderators.

Yea, Jaben's a nice place pity I haven't had a chance to go to SE because it's too out of the way. And with regards to whatever politics in the audiophile world, it's really kind of dumb ya? In any business as long as there's a conflict in interest, businessmen will part ways. It's a fact of life, face it and let's not get all soft and wobbly and indignant over past issues.

-ohn' date='20 Aug 2007, 10:08 AM' post='93793']

Like the chinese saying "You can't keep two tigers in the same mountain."

Anyway I think we should leave it as that. No sense continuing any animosity between all the parties involved. Ultimately all of us want to enjoy our music right? :)

My observation is that it is less of "two tigers" and more of a "tiger" and a "buffalo".

Sgheadphones has always aspired to be user/consumer oriented and not seen to support any dealers. While the other forum is more dominated by some people who will drive up interests in certain products in which they may have financial interests in.

Both forums are good but they are different. As long as we are aware which forum we are in, it is ok.