Sign in to follow this  
loop_

Forum Feedback 1

I have made a new thread for feedback so as not to cloud the original announcement.

As of now, I have yet to receive any desperate pleas for help to post FS threads.

And with regards to the effectiveness of the new rule, I believe there is still a healthy number of deals around, and obvious profiteers (those we originally targetted, mainly) have ceased posting. YMMV.

And to reiterate my point made above, "We are not against profiteering per se, but we do not want to encourage participation in the forum that solely feeds off monetary rewards." We understand that this is an expensive hobby, and occasional profits from sales can actually help sustain it. Just that if you registered just to sell stuff, I'd suggest you take your "business" to Ebay or Yahoo Auctions.

It is actually quite discouraging to impose such a rule (member with > 50 posts can create new topic in classifieds section). Considering such a limited headphone audiophile user base in singapore, maintaining higher user involvement is a more important thing to care about than occasionally someone doing something improper.

Hmm..imo theres good and bad of this rule..I would suggest to impose the join date instead of post count..does that mean I have to any how spam in threads to get 50 before I can post to sell?

Though it is apparent that we do not police the quality of postings stringently, you are encouraged to post constructively.

Suggestions quoted from my post above: Our new members can start by asking questions or for recommendations, or just posting simple impressions of their gear, or even share the joy of their latest CD purchase. I, for one, think that ruminating and querying is a better way to start this hobby and gain experience, compared to buying and selling. That should come in a bit later, and 50 posts might be a good benchmark for our members.

Buying and selling is also part of the hobby. We buy new stuffs, tried it out and sell it. I am not saying that having 50 posts as a benchmark for all members is not good, just that this forums has been here for quite some time. Most of the informations can be searched in this forums, I just feel that having set 50 posts as a benchmark will somehow results in low quality threads and postings which will even results in slowing the forum.

Agreed, Nonsense.

Singapore is a small country and deals are very probably all carried out in with meetings in person, Cash On Delievery, so risks of getting cheated is rather small.

However, on Head-fi, its a totally different thing. There are so many people around, and the country is so big, even international sales. The deal goes, the buyer pays the seller, then the seller ships the good. But how can the buyer determine the quality of the good? No way. Pictures? Na, it doesn't work.

So the way to determine the quality on Head-fi is by reputation. You would definately trust someone who have 100+ post than one with less than 50 posts. Therefore, there is such a rule on Head-fi.

Sgheadphone? We all can check on the goods in real before we even pay the seller. Any risk would be greatly reduced.

And anyway, not like there is a lot of complains/junk threads regarding the classified section :)

After all, this IS a forum, for us to talk yea.

Rules rules rules, you sound like the Sg government. Fine next?

Jus kidding :D

Nonsense, thank you for your feedback. We will monitor the quality of the posts more closely, and I'm sure our more experienced members will direct repeat questions to the relevant threads so as to prevent duplicate postings.

Dear ezzo, perhaps we Singaporeans can all read more and complain less, then probably our government would trust us with less rules. We're trying to prevent profiteering, not people from getting conned. And I can safely say we have achieved our aim.

Absolute0, I do not get what you are trying to say, but do not explain.

I am not talking about the government. I am talking about the forum, too many rules defies the purpose of a forum, whats a forum for.

Regarding what you said, it is typical no-nothing-but-singapore view.

Well, I dont care :)

I am not talking about the government.

Neither am I. :innocent:

Since you don't care, I shall not risk being more condescending than my previous post already is. :yawn:

Just to make my point. There is a typo in my last post. I meant "know-nothing-nowhere-but-singapore". I am not talking about the government meaning it was an example actually.

Well, if you are not talking about the government then I have no idea what you are talking about, really.

To have a rebate here in this forum is probably not a good idea either. You mods are sure hardworking.

Well done :)

Absolute0, as you may or may not see, I was inactive for for quite sometime until recently. From that time I

went into inactivity, I could see that you all (the Mods) are quite particular about "Bumping" threads written

out instead of using the options in classifieds section. Now I could see alot are using "Bumps and Ups", some

have Mods telling them to use the option. Even so, if they still ignore the warning, nothing is done (Not

pointing fingers on anybody). Regarding on quality of posts, there is a so call lounge lizard section for

posting anything under the sun, under the bed, under your pants or under my pants. So I personally find it

quite useless to set it at 50posts which you are also required to be at least 30days old. Talking about

preventing profiteering and not people from getting conned, can you elaborate on this?

I could see that you all (the Mods) are quite particular about "Bumping" threads written

out instead of using the options in classifieds section. Now I could see alot are using "Bumps and Ups", some

have Mods telling them to use the option. Even so, if they still ignore the warning, nothing is done (Not

pointing fingers on anybody).

I don't see how this is relevant to the classifieds posting requirements, but with regards to bumping classifieds threads, it is not a hard and fast rule of prohibition. When we come across such threads, we advise members to use the forum in-built function. But we are not/cannot be so free as to scrutinise every thread to enforce this. And I personally have not seen members ignore an in-thread reminder, but you're welcome to use the "Report this post" option if you come across them.

Regarding on quality of posts, there is a so call lounge lizard section for

posting anything under the sun, under the bed, under your pants or under my pants. So I personally find it

quite useless to set it at 50posts which you are also required to be at least 30days old.

The lounge lizard is indeed a good place to earn post counts, and we try to close one eye as long as it is not too blatant or disruptive. It's really not difficult to make 50 posts, whichever sub-forum you choose to post in, so the key of this rule is not in stopping people from gaining posting rights to the classifieds, but rather to encourage (hopefully) constructive participation and to deter those who register just to sell gear for profit.

Talking about preventing profiteering and not people from getting conned, can you elaborate on this?

ezzo asserted that these posting requirements for the classifieds will not prevent people from getting conned. The point is, the purpose of these requirements is not to prevent people from getting cheated, but to deter profiteering. Which was why I suggested that "we Singaporeans can all read more and complain less", because people are completely missing the point. Seems like ezzo wasn't the only one... -_-

The same old points have been raised time and again, so members intending to comment are encouraged to read the other posts in this thread and the mods' replies first. I will only be replying to relevant, new arguments and feedback. Thanks.

I don't see how this is relevant to the classifieds posting requirements, but with regards to bumping classifieds threads, it is not a hard and fast rule of prohibition. When we come across such threads, we advise members to use the forum in-built function. But we are not/cannot be so free as to scrutinise every thread to enforce this. And I personally have not seen members ignore an in-thread reminder, but you're welcome to use the "Report this post" option if you come across them.

I agree it has nothing to do with the posting requirements, as just to highlight that earlier on you said that mods will monitor the post closely. Which I do not see it so.

The lounge lizard is indeed a good place to earn post counts, and we try to close one eye as long as it is not too blatant or disruptive. It's really not difficult to make 50 posts, whichever sub-forum you choose to post in, so the key of this rule is not in stopping people from gaining posting rights to the classifieds, but rather to encourage (hopefully) constructive participation and to deter those who register just to sell gear for profit.

You got me so confused. You said that you all are not/cannot be so free to see every thread so how you know whether if some threads are blatant or disruptive?

The key of this rule indeed is not stopping people from gaining posting rights but stopping from starting new threads. It is not difficult to make 50posts but it is not easy too (unless posting craps at the lounge).

If you think selling something lesser than what you originally bought at is call profit, then what is loss?

ezzo asserted that these posting requirements for the classifieds will not prevent people from getting conned. The point is, the purpose of these requirements is not to prevent people from getting cheated, but to deter profiteering. Which was why I suggested that "we Singaporeans can all read more and complain less", because people are completely missing the point. Seems like ezzo wasn't the only one... -_-

We Singaporeans should read more and complain less. Sometimes it has to see what kind of situation it is. Facing some Singaporeans who only sees the mirror when ever they walk and hear what ever they speak or think and who cannot take feedbacks, no point in trying to.

The same old points have been raised time and again, so members intending to comment are encouraged to read the other posts in this thread and the mods' replies first. I will only be replying to relevant, new arguments and feedback. Thanks.

So you even find old points being raised again and feel not good and referring to your earlier posts, I thought you said more than happy to revert to relevant post/thread? And lastly, you will be replying to relevant, new arguements and feedback. What else are besides that? Isn't it the same as anything? Everything not relavant are new? The same are relevant?

Edited by Nonsense

Thanks loop_, for the irrelevant comment.

I think I've already made my stand very clear, so I'll leave it as that before this turns into a flame fest. Those who bother to read this thread in full can come to their own conclusions. Some points are so pointedly obvious they don't even have to be argued.

We continue to welcome feedback but we're not here to please everybody, so don't take it too hard if it's not accepted.