Sign in to follow this  
ogoi

Where to get headphone amps without going on-line?

Hi great site! Great advice!

I am currently using the Airhead (someone bought for me in US) with an old Zen NX and a Senn HD 580. Lets say with a budget of 2 - 3 K, what rig can I get locally (DAP, headamp and headphone) without the hassle of online ordering and waiting. I encode to WAV format and portability is not really a big issue as I use these at home.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by ogoi

Hi great site! Great advice!

I am currently using the Airhead (someone bought for me in US) with an old Zen NX and a Senn HD 580. Lets say with a budget of 2 - 3 K, what rig can I get locally (DAP, headamp and headphone) without the hassle of online ordering and waiting. I encode to WAV format and portability is not really a big issue as I use these at home.

Thanks a lot.

Try Jaben on the 4th floor of The Adelphi building... You have lot's of flexibility with that kind of budget :))

2-3k had alot of choices. For headphones it shouldnt be a problem u can get them from SE in causeway point and Jaben in aldephi.

For amps, SE has the $900 Higher Fidelity amp which is rated pretty good. Jaben has quite a few firestone and other amps.From a recent post in headphone haven, he brought in the RSA raptor which is fantastic but cost like 1.6k if im not wrong. You can also go down sls. Some of the audio shop sells the music fidelity v3, creek and one more i forgotten what which is pretty good.

One thing I dont get from ur post is ur source u want a DAP? As in computer or mp3 player?

Edited by tassardar_

With that amount of money you can buy a decent-good CD player + headphone amp + Interconnects and power cables + headphones.

Edited by Shiro MS08th

I don't really see why you would want to use a DAP at home, but I guess there are some merits (ability to listen around the house).

I would recommend the following.

Red Wine Audio iMod (DAP) --> RSA Hornet / Xin SuperMacro --> AD2000

However, I do realize that buying online is not so much of an option. Hence,

iAudio X5L --> RSA Hornet (you could wait till Jaben at Adelphi stocks them again) --> AD2000

Well, for a budget of 2k. I recommend you get a non-portable setup. A good cdp paired with a nice amp and good heaphones. All these can be found at the adelphi although they are in different shops.

If I may, here is what I would get.

Cambridge Audio 640c v2 - Firestone Amp - Senn 650, Akg 701?

However, if portable is what you want, aaron has said it.

Edited by Bushwacker

Thanks for informative reply. Where is the best place to get iAudio X5L?

It seems quite rare in S'pore?

The more I read about iMod, the more tempting it gets.

Looks like its the best DAP out there?

How about Creative products?

Thanks a million.

I too am looking at the imod. I feel there is a greater difference between a ipod and an imodded ipod as compared to the difference between a SF5 - TF10. I am still considering this difference.

Imods are one of the best portables out there. However for the 4G imod, you will need an external amp to run it and that amp has to be of reasonable quality to fully maximise the potential of the imod.

Stock vs Stock. I feel that creative zen vision M is better than the 5g ipod.

:yeah: A1 at $2600? Got discount or not? Then you need to but a good cdp and a top range headphone. Anyway anyone have demo the A1? Any impressions? Thanks.

hmm...

If you don't mind a home setup.

Marantz CD63/67 T.S. Lim mod for a CDP

Then get a decent-good priced tube power and preamp, can even use for speakers next time.

And invest in some decent-good interconnects.

Able to get some good deals at echoloft for these stuffs.

A1 is damn good. But I feel it maximises the potential of beyers more than senns or akg. But for 2.6k i find it hard to justify the price.

It's all about synergy. Jaben has the A1 in store now and I tried it yesterday with the 770, 880 and 990. It's great, absolutely great but for that kind of money I prefer my Spark HA-1A and Cardas-ed HD650. The 770-A1 combo was nice, fast, and most in-your-face. It's different from the laid back, slower Senns but still has the close-by presence that I like. The 880 and 990 put the music more at a distance, like you're further back in the audience. I only had time to listen to 1 song though (Hotel California) so I should go back to listen some more.