Sign in to follow this  
flashlight

j-Jays - a newbie review

I'm really a head-fi newbie although I started out with my father's old Koss headphones, then went on to various low-range Sennheiser headphones, then switched to earphones like the Panasonic HJE-50, Sony MDR-EX71SL, MDR-EX90SL, Shure E2c and now the cool j-Jays.

I just recently got a pair of these nice-looking, noise-isolating, in-ear earphones & am quite happy with them so here's my quickie newbie-level review.

These are designed in Sweden & made in China but have fairly good quality for the price of $80 delivered. They come in a nice box with FOUR different sizes of silicon earbuds for a personal fit (from XS to L), short 60cm Y-type cord & 90cm extension cord both with straight gold-plated plugs. Personally I feel that the standard 2mm/1.5mm cord could be a bit thicker for better durability though. No carrying case/pouch nor cord wrap supplied. The box has a neat retail display option feature - there's a hang tab that can be pushed up to hang from a hook or pushed down if not. (see photos)

Bass & treble & vocals are good out of the box. After about 3 days of burning-in, they seem to have mellowed out a bit & bass is a bit tighter. They are supposed to have better 'heavy duty' bass than the other model - the d-Jays. Sound isolation is about 8/10 (loses out a bit compared to Shure E2c).

I like the stylish, compact & lightweight (8 grams) design of the earphones. These are very low-profile 9mm dynamic drivers in-ear types. They can be worn with cord draped over & behind the ear & head as well to reduce microphonics (noise) from the cord hitting against your body whilst moving. The ports/tubes are quite small (about 2mm in diameter) and covered with a metal mesh filter to prevent dirt/earwax from getting in them & don't appear to have any foam/sponge attenuators in the tubes. (Not sure how the sound signature will change if the wire mesh is removed). The ports probably won't fit Shure foam or silicon sleeves though I currently don't have any to try.

The new improved version of these, using the new 'Siren' driver technology, called the s-Jays are in the pipeline & are supposed to be in the same price range as the s-Jays. Currently there is also the higher-priced & slightly larger d-Jays which utilise micro armature drivers. The newer yet-to-be-released version of these will be called q-Jays.

In case anyone is interested, there is someone doing a MO for the j-Jays & d-Jays here.

Edit- Photos attached.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

1. What's in the box. 2. Close up of the very low profile earphones. 3. My personalized pair which I have marked red for right & blue for left. :) (Photos - © Cyril T.C. Ng Photography 2007)

Edited by flashlight

Pictures will help. Easier for some, don't need to click there and there.

haha, ok will post some later but I think you should know what they look like. :grin:

Shure e2c? Then maybe comparing it to the d-jays is more appropriate since they are in same cost bracket.

wow, a Black beauty. 4 sets of earbuds included!

not in shops in S'pore. Throught MO.

darn, ordered another pair of phones already.. <_<

E2C's aren't exactly worth comparing to anything IMO. I think the Mylars would make a good comparism though.

E2C's aren't exactly worth comparing to anything IMO. I think the Mylars would make a good comparism though.

OK, one of the forumer will be pitting d-jays against V-Moda and j-Jays against a sony earphones (sorry, can't remember the model).

I got the review set of j-Jays, welcome review of it against the Crossroad series...