Sign in to follow this  
rkivie

Grado Flat Pads

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the use of flat pads with the RS-1? Not to be confused with the SR-60 comfies, I refer to these:

IPB Image

Image courtesy of TTVJ - http://www.ttvj.com/

They used to ship with the early production RS-1 but they're now a $50 pair of foam. They get a lot of recommendation on Head-Fi; every RS-1 discussion invariably makes a mention of them.

For what it's worth, I currently have the bowl pads and I don't think they may be too bright or harsh. The RS-1, however, do make my ES2 sound somewhat dull in comparison but that's another issue altogether.

So I'm hoping if anyone can share his/her experience with the flats pads. Thanks.

With the Flat pads will have more bass impact and it will reduce most micro detail on the high.

If you like more bass the flat pads is perfect. :grin:

Could someone tell me the difference between flats / comfies / and the hd414 pads? Pics would be nice too. Thanks.

Flats = as above

Comfies = the stock pad that ships with the SR-60 and MS-1

HD414 = Senns pads; they're those yellow pads you sometimes see on someone else's Grados/Alessandros

Lazy to get pics though, heh.

So flats and comfies are different? And hd414pads are yellow comfies? What's the difference between flats and comfies? Material, comfort?

That is correct. The most obvious difference is that flats have this gaping hole in the middle (see pic above).

No, the flat pads are not modded comfies. No, they don't have the same design. And no, I don't think they are of the same material cos the flat pads look like they are made from the same foam as the bowl pads.

But yes, Nofing, it would benefit you to read the first post where I have written down some information about the origins of the flat pads.

No offence meant but if it's precisely because the contents of your first post does little to clarify my doubts which is why I had to be precise in my questions posed in post #9 if you had bothered comprehending it and comparing it to the "information" you generously made available in your first post.

Also, if the flats are made of foam then what material would you imagine the comfies to be made of? It really is kind of obvious rkivie that you seem pretty uninterested in answering my queries. That's fine with me but there really is no need to direct me to unnecessary information which I've not asked for like the "origins of the flats pads". So it would benefit you too, to not only read but understand what I'm asking.

Nofing,

it's true my first post provide rather scant information regarding the flat pads, no information about the comfies and make absolute no mention of the Senn HD414 pads. Did it ever occur to you that it's because this wasn't a review about the various headphone padding variants to begin with? I started this topic to see if other members here have any experience with the flat pads to share. The little information I provided was to make clear which pads I was refering to.

Then you came in and were confused about the different types of pads - you even threw the HD414 into the mix. Well, since you mentioned the HD414 I would have thought you had some idea what they were. Even if you didn't, the first hits on Google for HD414 would have shown you what they look like. And Aron had also chimed in, remarking that the HD414 were like the pads on the SR-60 or MS-1, only they are yellow.

Regarding the "origins of the flat pads", did you even read after I had suggested you to? In case, you still have not, I assure you it wasn't about the history of Grado earpad production. It was, in fact, referring to the fact that the flat pads were originally shipped with the RS-1 (hence, "origins"). I'm sorry if you took those words literally, but hey, it's not my fault.

So if you would put all those information together, make a few connections, give it some independent thought, you would have been able to answer your own questions. Especially questions like "So are the flats like modded comfies?". It's not too hard, really. Or was that too much work for you?

Finally, regarding your comment about foam and comfies in you last post. As to what material I think comfies are of? I would have to say foam (surprise surprise). But surely you realise there are many types of foam around. It is my opinion that the flat pads and bowl pads are off the same material (I can only fathom a guess as I have no experience with the flats, which explains why this thread exists). The comfies are made of something else; similar, but not quite the same thing I'm sure. But they're all termed foam anyway. I hope you weren't hoping I would be able to relate the differences between the various type of foam to their constituent polymers, if that's what you meant in your last post.

I'm sorry this thread got derailed. I suppose it will get locked soon. Maybe I'll receive a warning for this too. Oh well.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for hijacking the thread and asking about the differences between the various Grado pads. However, I did so with the intention of understanding the topic starter's thread more clearly since I do not own a pair of Grado cans. After all this forum is focused on helping the various members know more about audio is it not?

Now rkivie, this therefore justifies my queries about the HD414 pads and do note I specifically asked later on whether they were Grado comfies painted black thus the assumption that I had no idea what the HD414 pads makes little sense.

Next, perhaps I should make it clear that my main question lies in the differences between the comfies and the flats. And in your words, if I were to "put all those information together, make a few connections, give it some independent thought, you would have been able to answer your own questions." Clearly, you assume that I have seen and or used a pair of RS-1 fitted with the original flats which is not the case. Conversely, if that was the case then there would be no need for my questions would there? Once again, you demonstrate your disinterest in answering my questions but there was really no need for the underlying sarcasm in your ensuing replies.

Also, if you had pondered so hard over my previous post as to what I meant when I asked if you would imagine what material the comfies were made of, it was tongue in cheek and not a doubt of your intellect; as you have been appearing to doubt mine all this while.

Once again, this is yet another futile post which would bring me few answers. I apologise for poor behaviour on my part for so rashly replying to rkivie's post and in my haste made some distasteful comments and fouled the original purpose of the thread. However, my question still remains over the differences between the flats and comfies. It appears that this thread has been the wrong place to ask my question so I shall find the answers I seek elsewhere.

Thank you for being so gracious in continually replying my posts with such long detailed replies rkivie. I wish you all the best in finding the answers you seek regarding the flats.

Till we meet again,

Nofing.

Stay cool, guys. I'll keep this thread open since discussions have been civil so far, albeit a little tense and OT. :b2t

I've been wanting to hear the flats as well but they're too expensive at >$50 for a pair of foam. Besides, they seem to do nothing for comfort. There's a thread on Head-fi offering a comparison (and pics, IIRC) of all the pads, so those interested can seek that out.

Hmm... has anyone ever tried listening to the grado's and Alessadro's without any pads?

I mean, i always thought that that's what happens when they do the quarter-mod (in our case, it guess it's a 50 cents mod. haha) Perhaps the difference between the flats and the modded comfies is that the material's different, and the comfies probably will "absorb" some of the sound? I'm not too sure.. just trying to make an educated guess.. hahha :P