Sign in to follow this  
mychew

Whats the difference between a music lover and an

audiophile= concerned about technical specs, listen to DIFFERENCES in sound using other equipement, and is generally disgusted by lousy sound?

music lover= dont care what equipement, dont care about power source or anything, as long as he/she likes what she is listening too, can liao :))

Everybody knows the music lover. Just someone who enjoys his/her music. The audiophile group can be divided into 2 sub-groups :-

1. The primarily music lover who also pursues the highest fidelity of audio reproduction to take him deeper into the music/into the performance (or the other way) but the music is still more important. Some of these audiophiles might even be musicians themselves. The musical performance is more important than the quality of the recording itself.

2. The audiophile with only 10 CDs mostly made up of stuff like demo discs, drum discs, etc and change equipment every now and then. They don't listen to music, they listen to equipment. "Which power cord sounds better" is more important that "Who's a better singer". 1950s analog mono recordings probably won't cut it for them.

The same segregation also happens in the photography circles, we got one group of people who are more interested in taking good photos, and the other group who is more interested to discuss whether Nikon or Canon is better, which lens is better, and shoots only test charts. :P

Regards

CK

Music Lover - A person who love music but not really concern so much on how the music sound. Simple as that.

Audiophile - A person who is very concern on how the music sound to him. Everything must really sound natural to him.

Edited by Jeremy

Everybody knows the music lover. Just someone who enjoys his/her music. The audiophile group can be divided into 2 sub-groups :-

1. The primarily music lover who also pursues the highest fidelity of audio reproduction to take him deeper into the music/into the performance (or the other way) but the music is still more important. Some of these audiophiles might even be musicians themselves. The musical performance is more important than the quality of the recording itself.

2. The audiophile with only 10 CDs mostly made up of stuff like demo discs, drum discs, etc and change equipment every now and then. They don't listen to music, they listen to equipment. "Which power cord sounds better" is more important that "Who's a better singer". 1950s analog mono recordings probably won't cut it for them.

The same segregation also happens in the photography circles, we got one group of people who are more interested in taking good photos, and the other group who is more interested to discuss whether Nikon or Canon is better, which lens is better, and shoots only test charts. :P

Regards

CK

From my limited knowledge of local audiophiles(home visit), quite a number of them belongs to 2. One of the case is that the owner has a $100K+ MBL setup in a customized listening rm and guess what? The owner got about 50+ of CDs(at least half of them are copied CDR). :))

Edited by Charismatic

From my limited knowledge of local audiophiles(home visit), quite a number of them belongs to 2. One of the case is that the owner has a $100K+ MBL setup in a customized listening rm and guess what? The owner got about 50+ of CDs(at least half of them are copied CDR). :))

Haha, spent too much money on the hifi liao. No more money left for the music. Then again, some of these expensive systems don't sound good when playing most music, so the owner ended up only having a few which does sound good. :P

Regards

CK

I'm there I guess :)

I can't stand listening to certain 'audiophile' singers just because of pristine recording.

I'm there I guess :)

I can't stand listening to certain 'audiophile' singers just because of pristine recording.

Too clean eh? I used to buy audiophile recordings, now I buy normal recordings. I was even enjoying mono recordings of Ella and Louis, absolutely wonderful performance.

Regards

CK

Too clean eh? I used to buy audiophile recordings, now I buy normal recordings. I was even enjoying mono recordings of Ella and Louis, absolutely wonderful performance.

Regards

CK

Nay. The sound is awesome to my ears.. but I can't stand the music D=

:P

Im a music lover more then a audiophile if there is classification. However I do want to enjoy my music to the fullest thats where the audiphile part of me takes its path. In the end I believe is as long as you totally enjoy it is the most important factor.

audiophile concern themselves more on technical side of the sound quality. Music lovers may happily listening on lousy equipments. Audiophiles can not stand bad equipments, they are spoiled. :))

If your music collection worth more than your sound system, you are a music lover.

An audiophile thinks CD is just a piece of plastic that carries some data which can be read and translated to sound when played on a system (that's all).

In this world, only audiophiles will classify "vocals" as a music genre!!! :rclxub: (I used to ask a 100% audiophile, who works in a shop at Adelphi, about his fave muisc genre. He told me "I like vocals" :wallbash: ).