Sign in to follow this  
ogoi

Where to get 4G Ipod

Hi. Where can I get the Ipod 4G? Does APPLE store have them? I am thinking of sending to RedWine to mod. I just missed the last stock from ALO Audio. Thanks.

Try the online Apple Store. Go to the 'Special Deals' section on the right, select 'Refurbished iPod'. The ones that say 'Apple Certified iPod with Colour Display' should be 4G.

btw, even though it says 'refurbished', there's a good chance that you'll be getting a brand new iPod. i've bought stuff from the refurb section before and they've been spotless. i think apple just uses this section to dump old models... :)

Just got the ipod this afternoon. Wow! that was fast!!! I think it is brand new and it is 4G (shiny back). Now can rockbox and imod. He he he !

hey man, great to hear that you're happy with your buy. yeah, the refurb store rox :)

I rockboxed it a(ipd 4G) and listen using a headphone amp (I use the Hornet) with music encoded with FLAC and wave - it is OK, I guess. Just don't have the details and extension that I want. I also tried using a Pana portable CDP - the sound is suprisingly good. I also listen via a Zen NX using wave encoding - slightly better that ipod. I never use ipod menu but did listen to my daughter's ipod mini - sounded terrible. Song frm itunes too low a bitrate.

i wonder - why didn't you go for the new 5.5g ipods + rockbox + iMod (or even gMod)? Seems to me that with your hornet and all, you didn't go for the refurbished 4g for the cost factor... + 5.5g ipod has better battery life, right?

i've just met up with fellow headfier EFN whos currently a 5g iMod owner (after he destroyed his 4g iMod) and he totally confirmed that the 5g is better than the 4g. according to EFN, the 5g is more resolved, both in upper microdetails and bass impact. infact EFN is complaining to me (and others i guess) that FLAC sounds brighter and even harsh compared with ALAC and WAVE when he cannot discern that on the 4g iMod on the same songs. maybe hes turning into our very own PATRICK82 :doh::bash::grin:

not trying to do a plug here but if anyone's interested, i've been longterm testing our Mk3 Gmod in which the headout (instead of the lineout) is modded into the special Gmod lineout. in function the Mk3 Gmod is virtually identical to a 4g iMod with the lineout still functional normally (ie. lineout's NOT modded) for normal attachment to hifi, car, etc and such. we developed our own custom Gmod cable which contains the BG caps for attachment to the Gmod headout.

as for SQ, its identical to the Mk2 lineout Gmod. :thumbup: other benefits are charging and listening at the sametime and ofcoz we get rid of using the lineout dock which i always feel is the weakest link in the portable chain. also IMO the Mk3 Gmod presents a smaller and less fragile footprint.