Sign in to follow this  
fromjava

Has anyone auditioned different DAC offered by audio trio?

Someone care to share the experience? I had thought to go there and try before but gave up in the end. With the price difference, is DAC1 worthwhile comparing with the china made DACs on offer?

Happened to do this last month. Was actually eyeing for the zhaolu due to the rave reviews for an different sound to my current source. So, it happened that the first day i was there another guy was bringing his meridian dac for a comparison with the dac1. The 2 sounded very different on audio trio main setup. But i can roughly make out the type of sound the dac1 produced.

The next day, i took a couple of my fav cds over(mostly pop) and went audio trio again. First tested out the citypulse which alex said was a better one to zhaolu. listened to it for almost 3 hours. Resoulution was pretty good but it sounded a bit harsh. Imaging was okay. I believe the unit was not fully run in.

Was not throughly impressed with the citypulse, so asked alex to hook up the zhaolu unmodded. Damn, the unmodded zhaolu is much harsher and grainy than the citypulse. And the built quality of the zhaolu simply spells M.I.C. The zhaolu lasted less than 2 songs. Lastly the DAC1 came and went on to steal the show. It lasted 5 mins too. Cause thats how long it took for me to decide that the DAC1 is what i wanted.

Not going to write much about the DAC1 cause there is more than enough review on the web. But then again the DAC1 is in another league of its own, cant really compare something that cost about 1/10th of the DAC1. Think anyone can go for a audition over there, Alex is really friendly.

Edited by rko