heady

Mini³ group buy from AMB Audio shop

you mean the front and back panel files on amb web?

i'm not so sure if they do engrave on the panels.

we might need to find another service to engrave the wordings on the panel

Ok Guys, i ve emailed scan engineering asking for a quotation of 13 pcs of panel (according to MO). Showed them the front/back panels from the AMB site for reference. It's this one right?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Dimensions

A 2.1230" (53.924mm)

B 0.9030" (22.936mm)

C 0.1135" (2.883mm)

D 0.4000" (10.160mm)

E 0.6813" (17.305mm)

F 0.9625" (24.448mm)

G 1.6125" (40.958mm)

H 0.0200" (0.508mm)

I 0.2500" (6.350mm)

J 0.3600" (9.144mm)

K 0.6600" (16.764mm)

Hole diameters

Φa 0.1600" (4.064mm), countersink cone diameter: 0.2500" (6.35mm)

Φb 0.1142" (2.900mm)

Φc 0.2550" (6.477mm)

Φd 0.2800" (7.112mm)

Φe 0.3300" (8.382mm)

Corner radius

r 0.155" (3.937mm)

Panel thickness

t 0.0591" (1.500mm) to 0.0787" (2.000mm)

Mouz, you got the correct details. I think this won't be cheap. AMB made more about 200 set of front and back panels and it cost me quite a lot in the group buy for one set. But l may be very pleasantly surprised... :)

I was contemplating whether I could do this in plastic as plastic is safer anyway. I hope you all will note that you should NOT plug in the charger when the amp is on. If the metal barrel of the connector touches the metal panel, the TLE chip inside the amp is toast.

I have burned quite a number of TLEs, so I know it is very easy to burn one.

Bad news guys, scan eng does not customise the plates that we want. No matter, I've contacted the alternatives below, so let's keep our fingers crossed...

http://www.artesact.com/

Yi Kwang Signcrafts Pte Ltd

http://www.hillier.com.sg/index.html

http://www.chyeguan.com/index.htm

http://www.pendec.com.sg/index.html

http://www.kokbee.com.sg/

Edited by mouz

Btw, does anyone know if its possible to use a regulated 12V DC instead of the recommended 15-24V? Since the regulators downs the voltage to 12V anyway.

im looking at where we can get the knobs for the pots?

the recommended one is from kilo and i cant find it on farnell.

can it be found at sim lim tower? if yes, which vendor?

Btw, does anyone know if its possible to use a regulated 12V DC instead of the recommended 15-24V? Since the regulators downs the voltage to 12V anyway.

No, it's not possible

Like most electronic devices, there's efficiency factor in the regulator. The regulator ic (LM7812 in this case) will need an input power to power its operation, that is to regulate the output voltage to 12 V, it needs 12 V to be passed through and additional voltage to power its circuit.

Usually they need at least 3V up from the regulated voltage and achieve max output current at 5-6V above regulated voltage. It's quite inefficient, if I'm not wrong there's another linear regulator IC that's more efficient but I can't remember the number). Other alternative will be to use switching mode power supply (instead of linear regulator).

The 24V limit is set by the electrolytic capacitor C2 with voltage rating 25V.

If the input is already regulated I think you can remove the 7812 IC and connect the input to output node directly, leave the common node open.

Knobs:

Yes, I'm also wondering about this

anybody knows a good shop/source?

The Alps volume control used in the Mini³ has a 6mm (0.236") "D" shaft, so the volume knob should be made for this and have a single set-screw. Knobs made for a 0.25" shaft will be slightly eccentric. The diameter of the knob should be no larger than about 0.5" (13mm) due to the small size of the front panel and proximity to the nearby panel screw and input jack.

i dont think we can use those. the shaft isnt 6mm and 'D'.

No, it's not possible

Like most electronic devices, there's efficiency factor in the regulator. The regulator ic (LM7812 in this case) will need an input power to power its operation, that is to regulate the output voltage to 12 V, it needs 12 V to be passed through and additional voltage to power its circuit.

Usually they need at least 3V up from the regulated voltage and achieve max output current at 5-6V above regulated voltage. It's quite inefficient, if I'm not wrong there's another linear regulator IC that's more efficient but I can't remember the number). Other alternative will be to use switching mode power supply (instead of linear regulator).

The 24V limit is set by the electrolytic capacitor C2 with voltage rating 25V.

If the input is already regulated I think you can remove the 7812 IC and connect the input to output node directly, leave the common node open.

Oh, I see... Thanks for the reply and insight 1bit! :party:

Hi Guys, update on the quotes for customised faced plates. Heady, what's your view on this? It's a total of $32nett (no GST needed) for both back & front panel, reasonable? Gonna ask if can be made cheaper by using alternative materials instead of gravoply

Quotation from kokbee.com.sg

1) Fabricate Engraved Gravoply Signplate with Drilled Holes & Rounded Edges For Front / Back Panels.

Color: Black Background / White Letterings

Size: 53.924 mm by 22.936 mm by 1.5 mm (thick)

Quantity: 13 pcs Front & 13 pcs Back

Price: S$ 16.00 (per pc)................................S$ 416.00

Leadtime: 3 working days upon job confirmation.

Terms & Condition:

a) An initial 40% deposit upon job confirmation.

B) Full payment upon job collection.

c) Self-Collection.

d) Tax Free.

I think it's a great price.

Its definately cheaper than the one on amb made by frontpanelexpress.

is this case the material is gravoply which is a kind of plastic. not sure about it's durability.

Great news mouz. Well, if we don't try we won't know. I don't mind getting 3 sets. My Mini3 pcb is not in the group buy, I ordered mine earlier. So that will be 16 front and 16 back.

I can supply my AMB's panels as samples provide they don't loose it. Cost me a bomb! Find out what the volume discount is like. We may be able to supply AMB. :)

Edited by heady