heady

DIY Paradise Monica2 DAC

Btw, correct me if I am wrong Heady. My idea of using a dac is that it takes over the job of the cdp dac. so in this case, whatever raw data read from the cd is passed straight to the Monica for processing, instead of using the cdp own dac. Am I right? So will I make any difference in using my cd6000 as the source or a cheap discman or whatever with an digital out as a source? Right now, I got a feeling that i am under-utilizing my cd6000 by taking away half of its job...lol

Btw, correct me if I am wrong Heady. My idea of using a dac is that it takes over the job of the cdp dac. so in this case, whatever raw data read from the cd is passed straight to the Monica for processing, instead of using the cdp own dac. Am I right? So will I make any difference in using my cd6000 as the source or a cheap discman or whatever with an digital out as a source? Right now, I got a feeling that i am under-utilizing my cd6000 by taking away half of its job...lol

Ha ha. That is the question. There are people who believe in mega expensive CD transport. Me, I can't afford, so I am looking at a cheap CD player for my bedroom now.

This is correct. But cheaper transports probably are not as stable, and thus generate more read errors, etc which kicks in the error correction resulting in not-so-good sound. Whether you can hear that or not, is another story. :P

Regards

CK

This is correct. But cheaper transports probably are not as stable, and thus generate more read errors, etc which kicks in the error correction resulting in not-so-good sound. Whether you can hear that or not, is another story. :P

Regards

CK

If one have nothing to compare to, then we just blame bad recording/mastering. :P Recently I have an original CD start giving trouble, skips and stops. It is more than 20 years old. I copied the files off the CD and burn a new one. Surprisingly, the new self-burned CD sounds a lot better than the original. Now I understand why at one time Wilson promotes doing this to all CDs. Aiyah, lazy man, too much work. :ppth::))

hmmm...interesting huh..maybe when the cd is too old, too many data cannot be read, thus resulting in a lower quality sound. ;)

well, right now i also can't afford those mega expensive transport so I think I can live with a few bits of error correction. :D But again, even if I can afford I don't think I want to spend that much just to listen to those few bits... :)) I pursue better sound quality to enjoy music better, but not to perfect the sound.

This Monica DAC sounds interesting. Anyone with a Monica care to do a comparison to my DAC?

This shouts mini-meet!! :grin:

If one have nothing to compare to, then we just blame bad recording/mastering. :P Recently I have an original CD start giving trouble, skips and stops. It is more than 20 years old. I copied the files off the CD and burn a new one. Surprisingly, the new self-burned CD sounds a lot better than the original. Now I understand why at one time Wilson promotes doing this to all CDs. Aiyah, lazy man, too much work. :ppth::))

Well, sometimes the mastering isn't done properly, so it end result sounds bad. What you are doing is remastering the CD with some tender loving care :P There's also some debate as to whether the black CD-Rs sound better, haven't tried it, so I don't know.

Yeah, remastering your entire CD collection is way too much work. I'd rather just enjoy the music.

Regards

CK

This shouts mini-meet!! :grin:

heheh, my Monica 2 is still naked, cannot see the world yet. :P

Regards

CK

Was very much interested in this dac when i was deciding btw this and the other chiaplek one, in the end i got the cheaper one due to time constraint.

OT, heady so sorry for not responding to your pm, was very busy with lotsa stuff. Really sorry abt it.

hmm my monica is cased up but not the PSU.

it's not bad but the amp is picking up alot of noise from the DAC though. Are your monicas dead quiet with volume at max?

heheh, my Monica 2 is still naked, cannot see the world yet. :P

Mine is in rags... :blush: A cheap S$4.50 plastic box.

it's not bad but the amp is picking up alot of noise from the DAC though. Are your monicas dead quiet with volume at max?

I can't hear anything from my monica in the quiet parts of music. When nothing is playing, I don't know if monica output anything. But then my wife and son said I am deaf, so what do I know? :)) I do know that listening to the Monica, quiet parts of music are really quiet, so it sounds like the dynamic range is increased as you can hear details when the volume is not high.

Was very much interested in this dac when i was deciding btw this and the other chiaplek one, in the end i got the cheaper one due to time constraint.

OT, heady so sorry for not responding to your pm, was very busy with lotsa stuff. Really sorry abt it.

Don't worry about the PM. I bought the monica cheap by buying only the board and getting the parts myself. Also had it delivered to Malaysian address so save on delivery. Got friend stay in JB. :P

Mine is in rags... :blush: A cheap S$4.50 plastic box.

I can't hear anything from my monica in the quiet parts of music. When nothing is playing, I don't know if monica output anything. But then my wife and son said I am deaf, so what do I know? :)) I do know that listening to the Monica, quiet parts of music are really quiet, so it sounds like the dynamic range is increased as you can hear details when the volume is not high.

Don't worry about the PM. I bought the monica cheap by buying only the board and getting the parts myself. Also had it delivered to Malaysian address so save on delivery. Got friend stay in JB. :P

let me know if u are getting another piece, i would be interested in joining u

Edited by zer061zer0