ezzo

Headphone geared towards today's popular music

As an owner of both the AD2000 and W5k, I have to say, give the W5k a total skip if you are planning to play pop on it. The huge amount of compression of most pop music will cause the W5k to produce some "ear-wax melting" highs.

The AD2000 reproduces pop pretty well, but in my honest opinion, your best bet would be to go for a pair of beyer 990s non-pros.

The 990s are actually very versatile cans that can handle a myriad of genres, if you have a home amp get the 250ohm version, it will sound better than the 32ohm variant out of a home headphone amp. But if you only have say a portable amp or planing to drive it out of a DAP, do get the 32ohm variant.

-----------------------------------------

The W5k is actually extremely picky of it's front-end electronics. Get your choice of front end equipment wrong and you will regret your choice of cans, get it right and you will be treated to one of the most "timbrely" accurate cans within that price range. :D

The AD2000 is actually much easier to drive and less picky than the W5k, however I must emphasise that it is easy to drive the AD2000 to a "GOOD" level but it is freaking hard to drive it to a "Very Good" level. Trust me I had a hard time pairing different front end equipments to bring it to an outstanding level. :D

Oh well! Time to continue packing up, gonna move back to my place very soon. :D

Edited by Ryner

Okay! DT990 seems to be the way to go! Considering the price of DT990 2005 are around the same as Denon D2000

Thanks guys for the info!

I gonna check out how dt990 pro sounds first thou, since its so much cheaper. :)

Have you tried the DT990? I wasn't terribly impressed with it when I did (I never liked the Beyers much anyway, even the DT880, which I found cold and sterile).

Okay! DT990 seems to be the way to go! Considering the price of DT990 2005 are around the same as Denon D2000

Thanks guys for the info!

I gonna check out how dt990 pro sounds first thou, since its so much cheaper. :)

heard the lot and the Denon will walk all over the 990's.

Edited by sghound

I have not heard Dt990 act. But reviews looks promising. Def going to try them out if Im buying.

As for D2000, I have read its a good phone too but not exactly audiophile phone? Is there any shops around in Sg that sells D2000?

I did not really consider it as I dont know of any shops in Sg that sells it. The price is act cheaper than dt990 from where Im getting, <400SGD.

Have anyone heard both before??

As for D2000, I have read its a good phone too but not exactly audiophile phone?

precisely. that's why it sounds good.

<400 is cheap.

Edited by sghound

Hahaha. Yeah. But not that bad still.

Okay.

Just saw the price of D2000 on the post you made on another thread..

Both our thread are rather similar.. HD600 are quite recommended there, but will it do a good job for the music genres I listen to?

Edited by ezzo

Hahaha. Yeah. But not that bad still.

Okay.

Just saw the price of D2000 on the post you made on another thread..

Both our thread are rather similar.. HD600 are quite recommended there, but will it do a good job for the music genres I listen to?

Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap, Electronic. and that's how the the D2K rolls.

denon bass detail is awesome, makes the Senns' bass more rounded, Beyer bass even more rounded (except for Darths which i've never heard). a wild analogy: denon bass is like a Harley exhaust while the senn bass is more like yamaha/suzuki/honda/kawa. i have both 600 & 650, they're better at more music genres in the sense that they do better jazz & classical than the denon. both senns are also better all-rounders than dt990/880 & akg 701. but for your stipulated genres, the denon is the pick, by far.

Edited by sghound

I went to read about D2000 on head-fi. Some people named the as "improved HD650", if its anywhere near that, its AWESOME.

Other than its "made in china" :))

Okay, D2000 is def my first choice now. Hope it does not get too warm when using, closed phone still have its benefits though.

Thanks sghound and everyone else!

Edited by ezzo

Now, shall I tempt you with the D5000? Or a recabling for the D2000? :P

Joking. On a more serious note, the most important thing would be to enjoy the music.

I went to read about D2000 on head-fi. Some people named the as "improved HD650", if its anywhere near that, its AWESOME.

Other than its "made in china" :))

Okay, D2000 is def my first choice now. Hope it does not get too warm when using, closed phone still have its benefits though.

Thanks sghound and everyone else!

one thing's for sure, the denon will THRASH the Senns on the kinda music u listen to. plus it's very much easier to amp than the Senns.

the pleather earpads will get warm if u not in air-con room. warmer than Senns. but the denons fit so comfortably on the head, much the opposite of Senns' vice-like grip.

Awesome, I'll have something more worthed awhile to use with my mini3 and ckk3 amp :)

Ah yeah, I hate hphones that clamps on your ears. Even using grado std bowls makes my ears swell and hurt, after several hours. I bend it wide apart, almost falling off but sure feels tons better.

Aaron-xp:

D5k? Hoho. D2k'll probably do the job very well. I can buy a onkyo hifi with the price tag. Speakers still gives a different experience.

Yeah, agreed.

Its quality music not music quality :)