Sign in to follow this  
ezzo

Are you a fool?

Disclaimer: Not for the sensitive

I am new to this audiophile world, so you can call me a "audiophile newbie" but I am fine with that and prefer to stay that way.

Lets take a look at this very interesting article from gizimodo.com:

James Randi Offers $1 million If Audiophiles Can Prove $7250 Speaker Cables Are Better

Pointing out the absurd review by audiophile Dave Clark, who called the cables "danceable," Randi called it "hilarious and preposterous." He added that if the cables could do what their makers claimed, "they would be paranormal."

I think Randi made a point there...I could not help but to laugh. So far, there are no takers..

Well, just want to show you guys this, probably better if my own opinions are left out :)

The original article from gizmodo is here

You can also look for the original review by audiophile Dave Clark, which I did not bother finding.

When you are paying above certain amount, you would expect diminishing returns and on top of that, it is just personal perferences.....

More of placebo effect I would say. Hehe.

It is quite a joke, the way Dave Clark reviewed it. Ridiculous!

Sure makes me wonder how much of the reviews out there are actually true..

placeboplaceboplacebo..

Every cable is a filter (no matter how expesive or how pure the copper/sliver content is). Cable geometry offers ways to reduce this. For example litz wires are used for small signal transfer (the 0.2mv of an MC cartridge to it phono stage or transformer). If you substitute the litz for say a solid core wire of the same gauge as the combined litz wire you'll hear a very nocicable difference. There are many reasons as to why a certain geometry offers better transfer for low output signal transfer including but not limited to the so called skin effect. (Note hook up wires are like 3cm in length). That is not to say there are silly reviewrs who are trying to write prose into their reviews. This has been the case for a long time now. If in doubt trust your ears. Always remember a difference may not be better just because one cable costs a lot more then another.

Every cable is a filter (no matter how expesive or how pure the copper/sliver content is). Cable geometry offers ways to reduce this. For example litz wires are used for small signal transfer (the 0.2mv of an MC cartridge to it phono stage or transformer). If you substitute the litz for say a solid core wire of the same gauge as the combined litz wire you'll hear a very nocicable difference. There are many reasons as to why a certain geometry offers better transfer for low output signal transfer including but not limited to the so called skin effect. (Note hook up wires are like 3cm in length). That is not to say there are silly reviewrs who are trying to write prose into their reviews. This has been the case for a long time now. If in doubt trust your ears. Always remember a difference may not be better just because one cable costs a lot more then another.

IMHO. there is a difference in power cords or ICs. The amount depends on the resolution, neutrality and transparancy of the audio chain i.e. the headphones/ amplifiers/ source. In my experience, it is easiest to hear the difference using the Beyerdynamic DT150 or Sennheiser HD-25 partnered with a Sound Devices HX-3 that i am using.