red_ryder

Can I wash the Beyer earpads?

Are the grey Beyer earpads washable? I bought a DT931 from Mackie 4 yrs ago, and the grey color is now closer to brown. :yuck: I'm thinking of just dumping the ear pads into the washing machine, but afraid of what might happen. Anyone tried washing their earpads before?

The cans still sound great though, lusher and less harsh compared to when I first bought them. The weak point for me is the bass. Anyone still using DT931 in the forum here?

I also just ordered a set of 2mth-old Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 noise cancelling phones from headfi at US$90 (shipped to my bro in the US). What a steal! Mostly for use when I travel, but I wonder how it will compare to the DT931 at home?

I have washed the grey velvet pads of my DT880 before but hand wash and then spun dry by itself in the washing machine (so won't get crushed by other clothes).

After airing for a few days, it dried and needed brushing to get the "velvet" looking good. It smelt nice for a while until the sweat got it again. :P

Are the grey Beyer earpads washable? I bought a DT931 from Mackie 4 yrs ago, and the grey color is now closer to brown. :yuck: I'm thinking of just dumping the ear pads into the washing machine, but afraid of what might happen. Anyone tried washing their earpads before?

The cans still sound great though, lusher and less harsh compared to when I first bought them. The weak point for me is the bass. Anyone still using DT931 in the forum here?

I also just ordered a set of 2mth-old Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 noise cancelling phones from headfi at US$90 (shipped to my bro in the US). What a steal! Mostly for use when I travel, but I wonder how it will compare to the DT931 at home?

You can buy replacement pads from Hung Brothers. They're about $40 a pair. Ask for the DT770/ 801/ 831/ 901/ 511 pads if they don't seem to know about the 931 pads. They're essentially the same but most retailers don't stock the pads listed for 931's.

I tried washing my pads before. But the stains just return soon after. Also the pads are not as fluffy as when new. Ultimately, i just bought a new pair of pads. :)

I asked AKG about the 701 pads. They suggest hand washing with liquid soap and warm water. Rinse by squeezing (gently) in clean water and letting them air dry.

Another method would be to run them in your dishwasher, squeeze & air dry.

I asked AKG about the 701 pads. They suggest hand washing with liquid soap and warm water. Rinse by squeezing (gently) in clean water and letting them air dry.

Another method would be to run them in your dishwasher, squeeze & air dry.

Yup, I am doing the same for my 701 pads and they seem to be working out pretty well