red_ryder

Just auditioned HD600 and DT880 at Jaben

I'm still new at this, so please don't flame me. Just wanted to share some feelings about both phones. I started out auditioning the Senn HD555, then DT770 and DT150. Finally tried out the DT880 and it was my favourite of the bunch. The music felt light and airy, very clear definition, smooth vocals, not overly bright. On a whim, I thought of comparing it with the HD600 since it was roughly the same price, and HD650 was not available for testing. The song used for testing was Diana Krall's Look of Love.

Wow, a huge difference in character! Once I heard the HD600, I couldn't go back to DT880. To be fair, the vocals are a bit harsher on the senns, but the music just seems more alive and impactful. In comparison, the 880s felt boring. Especially when it came to the piano solo - on the hd600 each note felt distinct and the piano solo stood out. The first time I heard the song on the DT880 I didn't even notice the piano solo, it just felt like part of the background music. The notes kind of blended together. I wonder if anyone else feels this way?

Tomorrow I need to bring more CDs to Jaben for testing, maybe some pop, rock and classical too.

The harsh vocal might be the fact that you tested a fairly virgin HD600, don't recall the HD600 harsh on the vocal. You should try the HD650, when pair with a good amp has more room for improvement IMO.

I have not known that the HD600 will sound harsh, but it may sound sibilant depending on the recordings or the setup used. On comparison of the HD650 and the HD600, the HD600 sounds more balanced while the HD650 top end is a tad recessed. However, this could be addressed with a chance of the cable. The Hd650 offers more flesh in the mids as compared to the HD600. Depending on your preference or your choice of setup, you may prefer the HD650 to the HD600. As for me I have sold my HD650 and kept my HD600.

Red

You need to audition the DT990 as well. That will be closer to the HD600/650.

The DT880 has a midrange bias which is nice on some music, not on others. DT990 is more balanced.

I feel the DT990 doesnt cut it. I felt it had too much bass and the midrange cannot compare to a HD600. Furthermore, the HD600 can use aftermarket cables. Lastly, I have heard a 5 year old HD600 and i must say its heavenly. I sold off my 990 to get a 650.

feel the same way, have both cans and the 600 is in a different league. the 990's highs are not as silky plus the bass is more tubby than the bass detailing of the 600. also find the 600 more balanced than the 650, especially when listening to classical & jazz.

but between 990 & 880, the 990 is more balanced somewhat.

Agree with all your points, the HD600 just simply sounds better than the DT990 and marginally better than the DT880.

I bought the HD600 eventually.

haha! The upgrade cycle never ends, does it? I like Headfi's motto - welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet.

Cable is a low priority at the moment. I should probably change my source first, as I'm still using a Denon universal player, the 2910. I used to own the NAD C542 but sold it off to finance something else. Now regretting that decision and wish I had it back. I'm also feeling the itch to buy more CDs now.

It was so awesome using the HD600 (and the Icute amp) for the first time. My first high-end headphones, and my first dedicated headamp. Was using my HT receiver (+ DT 931s) previously and they just cannot compare. I actually got off the sofa and started dancing in the living room (with the lights off!). Some old favourites brought tears to my eyes, and I fell in love with my music collection all over again

Welcome to Club Sennheiser!

When the itch strikes again, check out aftermarket cables for your cans. :moneyflies: You might be more than pleasantly surprised. :600smile:

Also remember to give them enough burn-in. :grin:

Agree with all your points, the HD600 just simply sounds better than the DT990 and marginally better than the DT880.

I bought the HD600 eventually.

congrats!

tried the expensive zu and cardas cables with the 600 but i dunno, somehow i feel happy enough with the original.

Well that's true, you may want to upgrade your interconnects and your source first. I remembered the sonic bliss I was in, when I was running it with the NAD541i with the Sudgen Headmaster. Anyway the best setup IMHO for Jazz and vocals was using the Cary 300SEI with HD600

curiously enough i've never tried my hd600 with the stock cable. Bought it 2nd hand with the equinox. Wonder how big the difference is...

*I've always thought that sennheisers don't get enough lovin' this side of the planet. but this thread goes some way to dispelling that myth!

Edited by loop_