red_ryder

Just auditioned HD600 and DT880 at Jaben

curiously enough i've never tried my hd600 with the stock cable. Bought it 2nd hand with the equinox. Wonder how big the difference is...

*I've always thought that sennheisers don't get enough lovin' this side of the planet. but this thread goes some way to dispelling that myth!

The difference between the stock and the Equinox is the veil is lifted and gives the Hd600 more air.

Some attention to the HD600:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?show...l=sleeping+pill

Personally I never liked the Senn 600/650 balance, felt the bass too warm, lacking in detail. Nice pleasant cans, but not my cup of tea. Well, I've always held the view that cans, like speakers, are very personal, get whatever works for you and enjoy the music.

I'm still new at this, so please don't flame me. Just wanted to share some feelings about both phones. I started out auditioning the Senn HD555, then DT770 and DT150. Finally tried out the DT880 and it was my favourite of the bunch. The music felt light and airy, very clear definition, smooth vocals, not overly bright. On a whim, I thought of comparing it with the HD600 since it was roughly the same price, and HD650 was not available for testing. The song used for testing was Diana Krall's Look of Love.

Wow, a huge difference in character! Once I heard the HD600, I couldn't go back to DT880. To be fair, the vocals are a bit harsher on the senns, but the music just seems more alive and impactful. In comparison, the 880s felt boring. Especially when it came to the piano solo - on the hd600 each note felt distinct and the piano solo stood out. The first time I heard the song on the DT880 I didn't even notice the piano solo, it just felt like part of the background music. The notes kind of blended together. I wonder if anyone else feels this way?

Tomorrow I need to bring more CDs to Jaben for testing, maybe some pop, rock and classical too.

I have the DT880 & 650's.. Musically the 650's destroy it.. But the DT880's are incredible for movies..

Personally I never liked the Senn 600/650 balance, felt the bass too warm, lacking in detail. Nice pleasant cans, but not my cup of tea. Well, I've always held the view that cans, like speakers, are very personal, get whatever works for you and enjoy the music.

The 650's have globs of detail.. Balancing them really helps along with Alexs mod..

Out of a good amp, all the "darkness" disappears. I'm really not joking. The HD650 (and the HD600/580) are top-notch cans that can sound absolutely incredible with a well designed amplifier. Don't forget a good source too :party:

whats teh price range fo rthr HD 650 and the 600 cans?

If I amnot wrong the drivers for the HD600 drivers is the asme as eh HD 580.

Are these series comparable to the AKG 501 model or more higher end?