Sign in to follow this  
Offroad

Need comments for HD 590

Hi there, I'm new to this stuff. Need some advise from you guys/gals.

I spent quite a fair bit of time listening to Jazz, Classical and occassionally rock/pop music. Thinking of getting a HD 590 for my portable MP3 player and Lap top. Can any of you comment on it?

Thanks man. :))

Edited by Offroad

Hi there, I'm new to this stuff. Need some advise from you guys/gals.

I spent quite a fair bit of time listening to Jazz, Classical and occassionally rock/pop music. Thinking of getting a HD 590 for my portable MP3 player and Lap top. Can any of you comment on it?

Thanks man. :))

does the HD590 leak sound (like 595?)

if so...portable solution might not be good. unless you want the entire bus listening to your tunes too :)

Unless the HD590 is closed, which i don't think so, it can be used outside. However, if its an open can, ie you can see the inside of the headphone from the grills, then its a very bad idead. You will hear alot of outside noise.

Best suggestion, for portable, iems would be the way to go.

Thanks man for all the advise. I'm using this mainly at home. Have gotten the HD 590 (3 mths used set) for SG$100. One of the bro selling at hardwarezone. Quite good for my laptop but MP3 cannot make it. Think, the MP3 is underpower to pump up the HD 590.

I also bought a Creative Xmod. Thought it will be gd for my MP3 & laptop. tested it but didn't sound that gd afterall. Using the HD 590 on laptop alone is gd enough for me.

There's this funny noise coming out of my headphones when use with my laptop & Xmod. When I turn on the vol to 3/4 of the scale, the treble is distorted. Any reasons for this? Used it on another laptop/player/sounds, same problem.

Hi Offroad,

likely is that your 590 is revealing all the shortcomings from your media source and the amplification. Would suggest that you try your 590 with a CD player and a dedicated headphone amp.

$100 for 590 is a good buy. :D

I have attached a PDF with some info on the 590 for forumers who want to know more about it.

HD590.pdf

Wow $100 for a 590 thats way cool! If only I could get one at that price I ll snatch it up without a second thought :/ ... The 590 is 120ohms, in my opinion has more headroom than the more impedance efficient 595 (50 ohms), personally I like it over the 595 even without an amp. Its also more fuller sounding, personally i feel its the closest senn headphone to the HD580/600/650 family. :)

There's a kind sole to sell me at this price after much nego. Have been enjoying it with movies, MP3s, gaming, whatever possible I'm using it. Only prom is when using it with Xmod got that funny noise. Without Xmod, it still sounds quite nice and clear on my laptop. Suprisely, this headphones works well without amp.

But still, I want to max the potential of 590. Is there any player or ditgal amp that I can purchase and load it on my laptop for such purpose?

Thanks man.

you mean a software? to improve the music ? alot of times sound equalisation only increases distortion and makes music unnatural ... the limitations alot of times is the hardware of the laptop ie. the sound cards amp aint good enough to bring out the full potential... perhaps a seperate dac/amp combination would help greatly ....

Guess thats the thing with 'higher end' headphones ... they have the ability to shine due to their detailness and balance ... but alot of times with unnatural/ bad sources ... they also very 'dutifully' bring out the unnaturalness ....

Oic. Any recommendations for a gd amp for laptop use? Where can i get it? Paiseh... me go so...many questions. Hope your guys don't mind. Newbie lar.

depends on your budget really

the 'in' thing now for computer audio is a combined DAC/Amp connected by USB.

The thing is that the laptop's sound card is usually a poor source (DAC), so an external DAC will be much better.

A good example is the iBasso D1 which stereo carries: http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=7828

however, as these things are 2-in-1, they are not cheap. The D1 is 300+, which is already 3 times the price of your 590. I'm quite sure that this is a better solution then getting an amp alone though, if you're going to concentrate on using the laptop as your main rig.