Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Tube amps overheating?

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting tube headphone amps, but read online about over-heating issue? My setup is not in an air-conditioned room, and I plan to put the amp inside a HT cabinet. I can't leave it out in the open otherwise my children will touch it and possibly break the tubes. So do you reckon I can leave the amp inside an enclosed space? What is the worse thing that could happen?

I estimate that maximum I will use the amp for 3-4 hours at one go.

i left my darkvoice 332 for the whole day in a non air con room

no overheating problem for me

the casing still can be touch..but i never try touching the tube

if vaccuum tubes amps are not hot, the tubes are dead ....

sorry I just read your question carefully, and NO, you cant put any true audio equipment in an enclosed space. Period.

Edited by variablefeedback

that said, it's often recommended that tube amps should be in a well ventilated area e.g. if on a rack, should be right on top.

The danger could be to the tubes (I'm no expert here), but also that if the ambient temperature goes up too much, what you could get is the internal components (capacitors etc) getting hotter. The parts are unlikely to blow, but they say higher temperatures will reduce the lifespan of the parts. These are usually parts rated at very high temperatures though, so I don't know if ppl are just being kiasu.

If your cabinet is large enough such that the ambient temperature doesn't go up too much, I doubt there's a problem really.

A minimum of 4-6 inches clear space all around in a non enclosed area (ie not in a cupboard) should be sufficient. Children normally do not touch the tubes if you explain it to them clearly.