Sign in to follow this  
iewgnail

Teflon insulated wire

Guys, if we cannot discuss opinions without descending into bad words and personal attacks, then this thread deserves to be locked and the offending parties warned by the moderator.

So can we have some maturity please. Thanks.

AFAIK Cat5 is solid core no?

Yes, most cat5 is solid core (there are stranded cat5 but I have never seen it). For short runs such as in portable amps, I find it is ok. My reasoning is, in the pcb, it is also a solid layer of copper and it isn't much thicker in volume or surface are than a single strand of Cat5. And the good thing about it is that since it is quite pure copper, it does not work harden, ie can take quite a lot of adjustment without getting brittle and breaking.

I find tin coated or silver coated copper wires are quite brittle and will break if you need to bend them a few times.

The best copper hookup wires I have found are actually instrumentation wires from Koba, very fine stranded about same thickness as a Cat5 strand. And the insulation although not teflon, doesn't melt so easily as normal PVC. Unfortunately it comes in only one colour.

I find teflon insulated wires a bit tough to use for small amps as they are usually very stiff to bend into the tight spaces.

What did I miss??

It's over, small matter. <_>

Edited by heady

Yeah, small matter.

Since nofing have removed his posts, I have done the same to my replies (to him).

Edit: I have removed the rest of the post. Let bygones be bygones.

:b2t

Edited by ezzo

It seems like science and audio were never related for you jenhwa.

So you are saying that the silver wire floats in the air, in the middle of the tube, when it is placed straight out?

You have any idea much tension there has to be in the silver wire for that to happen?

Like you said, it is impossible to keep the silver wire suspended in the middle of the insulator on its own. However, with the help of an additional spiral of filament around the conductor, this is definitely possible. Just look at Nordost's higher-end cables. They all boast mono-filament or dual-mono-filament technology, most recently patented and developed by 3M in 2005 (US patent no 6,849,799). The helically wound spacer (or filament) creates air voids, suspending the central conductor in air - the best dielectric 2nd only to a vacuum - and effectively lowering the dielectric constant of the cable. As a result, propagation speed increases.

This technology has actually existed since April 1936 (US patent no 2,038,973) invented by Jesse F Wentz of Bell Telephone Laboratories. Wentz used a dual filament of acetylated cotton around a copper conductor, which was then wrapped in iron tape and encased in a lead sheath.

I have not heard of such a thing as inert air.. Lol.

It's sulfur in atmospheric air that causes the 'oxidation' or 'tarnishing' of silver. During the manufacture of a cable, I'm sure it is possible (don't quote me on this ;)) to purify the air in a way that all the potentially reactive components are removed, hence leaving you with "inert air".

Edited by milkpowder

AFAIK Cat5 is solid core no?

weird, cat5 cable here (at dollar stores) is stranded.

either way, solid/stranded, both work as interconnect :)

weird, cat5 cable here (at dollar stores) is stranded.

either way, solid/stranded, both work as interconnect :)

That's very interesting, barqy. Whereabouts in the world are you located? I have seen stranded terminated Cat5 but never in a reel. IMO stranded will be better for interconnect as it won't be so stiff. But I can't find it here in SG.

Regards.

Like you said, it is impossible to keep the silver wire suspended in the middle of the insulator on its own. However, with the help of an additional spiral of filament around the conductor, this is definitely possible. Just look at Nordost's higher-end cables. They all boast mono-filament or dual-mono-filament technology, most recently patented and developed by 3M in 2005 (US patent no 6,849,799). The helically wound spacer (or filament) creates air voids, suspending the central conductor in air - the best dielectric 2nd only to a vacuum - and effectively lowering the dielectric constant of the cable. As a result, propagation speed increases.

This technology has actually existed since April 1936 (US patent no 2,038,973) invented by Jesse F Wentz of Bell Telephone Laboratories. Wentz used a dual filament of acetylated cotton around a copper conductor, which was then wrapped in iron tape and encased in a lead sheath.

Erm, thanks for telling everyone that?

I was referring to the Slinkylinks cable know... It was not stated on their website about how they do it, or perhaps I missed it, either way, it does not matter now.

It's sulfur in atmospheric air that causes the 'oxidation' or 'tarnishing' of silver. During the manufacture of a cable, I'm sure it is possible (don't quote me on this ;)) to purify the air in a way that all the potentially reactive components are removed, hence leaving you with "inert air".

Please, don't quote the "inert air" from Aron yeah?

There is no such a thing as inert air for God's sake.

Air is made up of many different kinds of gases. There are gases called inert gases and none of them exist in the "Air" in significant amounts.

Frankly, using such a term as "Air" or "Inert Air" just shows you how good they are. Maybe they are writing for "everyone" to read but "Inert Air" IS a joke.

As for the sulfur in the air, I have no idea.

I thought the word "oxidation" itself would give you a hint of what caused it, its oxygen dude.

Note that I put inert air in quotation marks. Of course I know there is no such thing as inert air. It's part of Nordost's BS marketing literature. I am well aware that even some of the most inert elements (eg gold) can be made into compounds under the right conditions.

About silver oxidising in contact with air: Oxidation can mean an increase in oxidation state so your rash statement about the word "oxidation" hinting at what caused it is partially incorrect. Technically, silver doesn't form oxides in normal atmospheric conditions. What it does form, however, is silver sulfide, Ag2S

The reaction can be summarised as such:

2 Ag + H2S => Ag2S + H2

The oxidation number of silver on the left hand side is 0 as it is in elemental form. After reacting with H2S in the air, its oxidation number is now +1. An increase in oxidation number equals an oxidation reaction. Technically, this is a red(uction)ox(idation) reaction because hydrogen goes from being in +1 oxidative state to 0. Sulfur's oxidation state remains constant at -2.

I hope that justifies what I've said. Peace.

Edited by milkpowder