Sign in to follow this  
iewgnail

Teflon insulated wire

oxidisation is not a issue with pure silver cable,

slinky links pure silver interconnects use air as an insulator

see here <http://www.slinkylinks.net/SlinkylinksCable-3StepProcessAir.htm>

Well, oxidation affects all metals.

I have absolutely no idea how they manage to keep the silver wire from touching the tube.

It is....defying gravity.

Plus just thinking for a sec you will know it is impossible to maintain the same angular displacement, for both the silver wire and tube, when you bend the cable, considering they are of the same length.

Maybe someone can enlighten me -_-

I remembered coming across high grade cables that uses "AIR" as a dielectric but not any type like Slinkylinks but inert air which not only is a excellent dielectric but also for it's non-reactive properties.

I have not heard of such a thing as inert air.. Lol.

Edited by ezzo

it's not gravity, they calculated how many twists the wire needed inside the tube to get 96% air insulation.

being critical is no substitute for experience, go listen for yourself.

but if you cannot hear a difference, then talk is nothing but hot air and a waste of time.

Edited by jenhwa

It seems like science and audio were never related for you jenhwa.

So you are saying that the silver wire floats in the air, in the middle of the tube, when it is placed straight out?

You have any idea much tension there has to be in the silver wire for that to happen?

I have not heard of such a thing as inert air.. Lol.

The definition of inert gas from Wikipedia

IPB Image

The Nordost Valhalla interconnect consists of 8 conductors, made from optimized diameter solid 99.999999 Oxygen Free Copper that has 78 microns of extruded silver on the surface. The surface of each conductor is highly polished before a high precision micro monofilament wrap is applied. The micro monofilament is helically wound over the conductor. A precision Teflon jacket is then extruded over each conductor. The eight Teflon tubes are then bonded with a proprietary technique. A dual layer of silver served shielding is then wound around the assembly. This design reduces dielectric contact by a factor of more than 80%. Extremely mechanically stable, the conductors are effectively suspended in inert air, preventing oxidation.

Edited by Stereo_Electronics

The definition of inert gas from Wikipedia

I was talking about your "inert air". Lol.

Probably only one who do not know basic science would ever use the term, "inert air". Quite a joke dude.

IPB Image

The Nordost Valhalla interconnect consists of 8 conductors, made from optimized diameter solid 99.999999 Oxygen Free Copper that has 78 microns of extruded silver on the surface. The surface of each conductor is highly polished before a high precision micro monofilament wrap is applied. The micro monofilament is helically wound over the conductor. A precision Teflon jacket is then extruded over each conductor. The eight Teflon tubes are then bonded with a proprietary technique. A dual layer of silver served shielding is then wound around the assembly. This design reduces dielectric contact by a factor of more than 80%. Extremely mechanically stable, the conductors are effectively suspended in inert air, preventing oxidation.

Sorry for your long explanation.

I was refer to the cables by Slinkylinks.

IPB Image

Edited by ezzo

I was talking about your "inert air". Lol.

Probably only one who do not know basic science would ever use the term, "inert air". Quite a joke dude.

Sorry for your long explanation.

I was refer to the cables by Slinkylinks.

IPB Image

I hope you understand we are here posting to help and not proving we're smarter by picking gammer or being critical like Jenhwa mentioned. Some things here have to be taking in with your common sense if not you would have to start typing "laughing out loud" instead of "lol".

So tell me, when you commented that "oxidation affects all metals", should I say, "I never knew oxidation affects ALL metals, LOL, haven't you heard of stainless steel?" :whistle:

So tell me, when you commented that "oxidation affects all metals", should I say, "I never knew oxidation affects ALL metals, LOL, haven't you heard of stainless steel?" :whistle:

I am 100% sure that gold is a metal and it is not affected by oxidation. Now stainless steel.....I am not so sure. I use a lot of stainless steel instruments in my previous profession and after some time, they can undergo some oxidation (rust lah.. :P )

I am 100% sure that gold is a metal and it is not affected by oxidation. Now stainless steel.....I am not so sure. I use a lot of stainless steel instruments in my previous profession and after some time, they can undergo some oxidation (rust lah.. :P )

Stainless steel has different types in the industry, regular stainless steel with nickel added to iron is resistant to oxidation under certain condition and temperature whereas stainless steel with carbon added to iron is stronger and extremely resistant to oxidation. Most cases where the steel is not scratched or cracked they should be ok I guess. Read this from the internet.

Sorry for going off track. :P

:b2t

I hope you understand we are here posting to help and not proving we're smarter by picking gammer or being critical like Jenhwa mentioned. Some things here have to be taking in with your common sense if not you would have to start typing "laughing out loud" instead of "lol".

It was just a simple remark, don't take it too hard ;)

Wow, another one. You should read more about stainless steel too dude, right HERE.

I am just correcting you here, take it or leave it man.

Well, I still have no idea how slinkylinks does it.

I am more of a scientific person, not just the sound quality. As for sound quality, sometimes it is hard to tell if it is REALLY better or it is a placebo.

I can say what Slinkylinks claim to do is impossible! (without the silver wire touching the tube here and there and here and....)

Stainless steel has different types in the industry, regular stainless steel with nickel added to iron is resistant to oxidation under certain condition and temperature whereas stainless steel with carbon added to iron is stronger and extremely resistant to oxidation. Most cases where the steel is not scratched or cracked they should be ok I guess. Read this from the internet.

Sorry for going off track. :P

Well, rust is actually term for iron oxide.

For the rest of the metal, it is oxidation. The fact is that gold oxidises, just SUPER slowly due to its structure, to gold oxide.

As for stainless steel, lets not talk about it, most people will know it does oxidise. Or should I get more scientific... Haha. :whistle: no more

Edited by ezzo

Ha ha. We are so OT.

I happen to have a degree in a scientific profession, so I do know my metals cos we need to study their characteristics in our work. So, do lighten up, don't take it so seriously.

Re: the slinkylinks. If you read the info on the website, it will tell you that at regular intervals the silver wire is supported by the insulator which is probably made like the inside of bamboo. So their claim is considering the overall length of wire. I for one don't believe in their marketing. But it makes really good reading, just for laughs.

I am so cheap, I just use Cat5 wire for the hookup wires in my amps.

Ha ha. We are so OT.

I happen to have a degree in a scientific profession, so I do know my metals cos we need to study their characteristics in our work. So, do lighten up, don't take it so seriously.

Re: the slinkylinks. If you read the info on the website, it will tell you that at regular intervals the silver wire is supported by the insulator which is probably made like the inside of bamboo. So their claim is considering the overall length of wire. I for one don't believe in their marketing. But it makes really good reading, just for laughs.

Haha. Okay la.

Heady, I am guessing you are a dentist, but anyway I wasn't aiming at you so yeah.

I was aiming the other person, all of what I wrote was "for his knowledge" anyway.

Ah, okay, I was asking that for that.

Yeah, using the term "air" probably just shows how good they are -_-

BTW, Aron, I left it out, "Lol" stands for Laugh Out Loud, not laughing out loud...

LMAO :lol:

Edited by ezzo