Northern Oak

SGHeadphones ... 5 years on

It has been almost 5 years since I've first joined SG Headphones and looking at the Jaben saga and on dealer-sponsored forums issue, I kinda miss the good old days.

Here are some stuff that I can recall.

The website was first started by Adrian, aka ablaze, presumably on the 20th Jan 2003. I recall his rave then was his Sony CD3000 and EarMaxPro amp. He would purchase something and then realise he actually wanted something else.

Then, there are the helpful souls that are always willing to help out the noobs. Clarence, aka Mackie, Rameish and N@z, thanks for all the advices! Sadly, Mackie had chosen to leave the scene, I kinda miss talking to him.

The first gathering, AFAIK, was at AMK Ave 1, location sponsored by a kind soul whose nick I just can't recall. There were like 15 of us whom brought along CDPs, amps and headphones. That was fun!!!

The second gathering was organised by Ben and held at Singapore Poly's clubhouse (or something like that). More people joined in this time, with N@z and matbonn flying over from Brunei and naturally, more stuff to see and hear. It was fantastic, except for the fact that we ran short of power sockets!

I can't seem to recall the rest though. Everyone, please feel free to chip in and share your thoughts and memories.

P.S. I starting this thread as I'm really free and have nothing to do at hand.

Hi North Oak, pity there's no more contribution from the others, guess that we're just a handful of the senior (not of age) still lingering around. I miss those days whereby the forum is very busy, whenevr I log in, there will some forms of discussions and new topics. That also shows that we have more newer and I suppose younger forumers here, add more new vigour :D The third meet was held at the now defunct Anything Audio, organised by Mackie.

and I do recall most of us "pioneers"(hehe) trace our roots to head-fi where we had some threads like SG Hi-fi er.. and meeting in rameish's place(which I didn't attend coz overslept LOL)

thankfully they're all still there.. preserved and had stood by time :)

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=191 (right at the end)

Nice to see u back Oak :)!

add: ahh and who can forget the ever happy go lucky Mr Tee..

was my neighbour.. during that time we could spam the whole pages very quickly with nonsense posts hehe...

all the old peeps are gone now(Tee, Mackie, ablaze(?) , and so many others)

wish I could go back in time... :(

Edited by Blues

Time really flies... Well eer the one above my post lured me into it but I have taken another path just like him.

People are ever changing....

Really missed those times where I visited some for the members house for testing and the talking session we had. eps mackie

It has been almost 5 years since I've first joined SG Headphones and looking at the Jaben saga and on dealer-sponsored forums issue, I kinda miss the good old days.

Here are some stuff that I can recall.

The website was first started by Adrian, aka ablaze, presumably on the 20th Jan 2003. I recall his rave then was his Sony CD3000 and EarMaxPro amp. He would purchase something and then realise he actually wanted something else.

Then, there are the helpful souls that are always willing to help out the noobs. Clarence, aka Mackie, Rameish and N@z, thanks for all the advices! Sadly, Mackie had chosen to leave the scene, I kinda miss talking to him.

The first gathering, AFAIK, was at AMK Ave 1, location sponsored by a kind soul whose nick I just can't recall. There were like 15 of us whom brought along CDPs, amps and headphones. That was fun!!!

The second gathering was organised by Ben and held at Singapore Poly's clubhouse (or something like that). More people joined in this time, with N@z and matbonn flying over from Brunei and naturally, more stuff to see and hear. It was fantastic, except for the fact that we ran short of power sockets!

I can't seem to recall the rest though. Everyone, please feel free to chip in and share your thoughts and memories.

P.S. I starting this thread as I'm really free and have nothing to do at hand.

I was kinda guilty of dragging Adrian into the headphones thing actually.. Lol.. Knew him from before that when we participated in other local computing forums.

The first gathering was actually at Rameish's place.

The 2nd was at AMK at Pipee's brother's place.

3rd meet was at Singapore Poly Guildhouse courtesy of Mr Leng.

Hey hey hey... the gang's all here!

Haha ... i still remember the first gathering at Rameish's place before i flew over to Australia for study. If i am not wrong, i was there empty handed and everyone brought their stuff. That was the first time i heard the AKG 501 (Northern Oak's) and fell in love with it.

Hey hey hey... the gang's all here!

Yo .. N@Z it has been a long time .... I still remember we used to chat on the IRC while i was in Australia. Is the channel still around?

Yeah, it's been a while. I haven't been to the IRC either man.

Been to Rameish's meet which predates SGheadphones. I think the few people in attendance were WatCult, Firefox, ablaze, another guy whom I cant remember. Blues who organised but overslept and tried to come but couldn't cause he doesn't have caller-id. Loser!!

I miss those meets especially the one in SP. Headphonecrazy, barradio, rameish and Mackie had some crazy gears at that time...

I still hang around sometimes but seldom listen to headphones now that I listen to speakers.

Edited by evil-zen

Yes I'm still here obviously and I still do listen to headphones sometimes but my gear is all dated like the Beyer DT931 Senn HD600 with a Corda HA1 LOL. I do miss the people though... many nice guys who have become friends.

Most of all I miss the friendly atmosphere when discussing gear. Even the then young ones were nice if a bit shy LOL.

Hey guys, finally checked in after i saw in my mail that we have a headphone meet coming up!

Kinda miss the earlier lively atmosphere of old...

Ive been very busy with work... and its looking to be even worse for me once i pick up my 2nd job. I hardly have time to even listen to my home setup since im running around alot. Although, i have been quietly acquiring stuff here and there =)

Hope to see some familiar faces at the meet, will try to make myself free on that day!

hi all,

Sorry for not following the postings as I was busy in Suzhou. I miss those good old days!!!

The second gathering was fun. Missed the good old days.

Ruach, didn't recall seeing u at that meet! Where were u hiding?

and I do recall most of us "pioneers"(hehe) trace our roots to head-fi where we had some threads like SG Hi-fi er.. and meeting in rameish's place(which I didn't attend coz overslept LOL)

thankfully they're all still there.. preserved and had stood by time :)

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=191 (right at the end)

Nice to see u back Oak :)!

add: ahh and who can forget the ever happy go lucky Mr Tee..

was my neighbour.. during that time we could spam the whole pages very quickly with nonsense posts hehe...

all the old peeps are gone now(Tee, Mackie, ablaze(?) , and so many others)

wish I could go back in time... :(

Blues/(whatwasyouroldnick),

Thought you moved onto photography! Anyway, saw your work at fotologue, nice!!! I remembered Tee too! He brought me over to his hifi flat in Boon Lay, he's still with Temasek Holdings?

Edited by Northern Oak

Blues' original nick was guyferd then it was cookie and now blues.

So I guess his full nick would be guyferd cookie blues LOL

N Oak: thanx!!

u r right :D ..

more into snapping nowadays, but I still keep a humble portable setup for music listening on the go. Would v much love to go back to the endless pit of headphone listening if fund permits in the future :no:

ah.. mr Tee.. I've lost touch with him since some 2-3 yrs ago :( ...

no idea where is he now(he isn't here anymore is he?)

Rameish: damn!! how can u still remember them all.. applause :rclxms:

:blush: