jlingo

ULTRASONE EDITION 9 IS INDEED THAT GOOD!

I have been using Ultrasone Edition 9 since July 2007, experimented with different combinations possible. I believe I have passed that Hype New Toy Syndrome. So my comments will be more genuine, fair, and square. :D

Basically I find that Ultrasone Edition 9 is indeed an AMAZING CAN. It is the best ALL ROUNDER headphone that I have ever heard in my life. Please remember, ALL ROUNDER means the headphone must sound good with pretty much any music genre you throw in unlike some headphones only good for a particular music genre.

The problem with Ultrason Edition 9 is this: with a non matching system it will sound very thin on the top, shrill, with recessed midrange, bloated bass, 2 dimensonal, without surround feeling nor depth. As a result, UE9 sound stuffy and boring. Yes I HAVE HEARD THIS BAD SIDE OF UE9 MYSELF. UE9 really needs an amp that excels very well with depth as that really helps filling up the whole ambiance detail such as the air and the warmth.

Once your system is matching superbly then, it would be very hard to go back to a regular headphone for this reason: The sound of Ultrasone is SO FULL, SO RICH, ROOM RICH, as if you are listening to a pair of speakers in the room accompanied with a high quality of Sub. UE-9 is superbly detailed and able to throw an ambience information at 360degrees angle. This feeling is really becoming very ADDICTING. I have to say it’s very hard to go back to regular headphone after being spoiled with Ultrasone Edition 9.

I have to thank few people like Ultrasone Camp for implementing S-Logic system, Steve from Empirical Audio for a wonderful freeway 2 making my m902 sound very musical instead of digital or clinical. Also thanks Grace for making a wonderfully revealing and transparent amp like M902, better yet, WITH CROSSFEED/XFEED. The minute you turned on the CROSSFEED in Grace, UE9 soundstage became VERY BIG, VERY ROOMY, VERY AIRY WITH NATURAL DECAY. IT’S REALLY LIKE I’M IN a CONCERT ROOM INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO A HEADPHONE.

These Two setups sound amazing with Ultrasone Edition 9:

The ULTIMATE SETUP(Very simple yet startling):

1. Computer Source(Foobar Version 0.8.3 and SRC Rabbit) -> USB -> Freeway 2 -> m902(Crossfeed ON) -> Ultrasone Edition 9(better resolution, involving, exciting, Masculine) Add LISA III here, and the sound will become cuddly, warm, romantic, Laid Back, feminine.

The ULTIMATE TRANSPORTABILITY:

2. iMod 5.5G -> ALO SuperCotton Dock -> Vcap -> CablePRO Reverie 2 cable -> LISA III -> Ultrasone Edition 9(More romantic, more relaxing, warmer, and Laid Back)

Note: Due to the limitation of LISA III with smaller soundstage and without crossfeed, therefore The Reverie 2 cable is a must in order to make the sound of UE9 very open and big with depth and separation. I have tried panorama, Tara Labs Silver Streak, among other cables and the sound is more up front mixed together slap in your face kind of feeling. This makes UE9 sounds congested and less roomy. It’s definitely no longer 360degrees. You may try other cables as long as it achieves the same goal that is to make UE9 sound very open, surround with tonnes of air. Each instrument must be widely separated from one another better focus and clarity, like listening to a pair of speakers.

I would like to apologize, I don’t include any pictures in this post since many were already posted in other threads.

Other important Ultrasone Thread:

The Missing Manual of Ultrasone By Dexdexter

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php...&postcount=2902

Utrasone Edition 7 Vs. Stax Omega II By Superman’s Ears

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207948

There is Something about Ultrasone Thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207164&page=1

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice review, and interesting comments on system matching. As usual, the importance of synergy is reinforced.

And you have an amazing (and expensive beyond my dreams) rig!

the price is so scary :ppth:

if i got the money, i would rather get

the akg k1000, Grado GS1000, Alessandro MS pro or maybe even consider the AT L3000 or the HE60

the price is so scary :ppth:

if i got the money, i would rather get

the akg k1000, Grado GS1000, Alessandro MS pro or maybe even consider the AT L3000 or the HE60

You probably have not heard the edition 9 yet.

Just curious, don't mind PMing me the pricing? Is is closer to the 2K price mark? Cause L3000 and HE60 are 2 seriously expensive cans and it would be amazing for someone to consider getting a GS-1000 or AKG K1000 rather than that...So i presume its dead expensive?

Just curious, don't mind PMing me the pricing? Is is closer to the 2K price mark? Cause L3000 and HE60 are 2 seriously expensive cans and it would be amazing for someone to consider getting a GS-1000 or AKG K1000 rather than that...So i presume its dead expensive?

Sir I recommend you to have a listen to it since you already have GS1000.

I heard UE9 + RPX-33 pair supposed to be deadly. I don't own RPX-33 amp. It's best for everyone to actually listen to this combination yourself before giving not worth it kinda comment. :)

I tried to make the picture smaller but failed to do so. I'm not good with html so I don't know the proper coding to automatically resize.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php...020&postcount=6

Edited by jlingo

Jeffri, glad you like the Edition 9, I am still enjoying mine too :D

Edition 9 is one of the best current production dynamic headphones that the money can buy IMO (have not heard Denon D5000 or JVC DX1000). It's so dimensional with details, transparent with a touch of cream... Great dynamic, great details, interesting "soundstage", fast deep low end, from bass to midrange to highs, all sound perfect to me. I couldn't imagine anything clearer/cleaner or more tonally accurate than this.

Oh dear, I think I would have to buy them then....Any idea where I can get my hands on these fugly pair of phones?

Oh dear, I think I would have to buy them then....Any idea where I can get my hands on these fugly pair of phones?

Stupid question, just saw SE's sig.... :D

Stupid question, just saw SE's sig.... :D

I noticed you own L3000. Could you please compare L3000, with UE9 if you decide to buy UE9. :)

I noticed you own L3000. Could you please compare L3000, with UE9 if you decide to buy UE9. :)

Haha, no problem! Anyway, this christmas seems busy. Speakers and headphones....Argh....There goes my wallet again!

I didn't like the L3000 when I heard it. I wonder how the E9 sounds compared to it, but am too poor and chicken to buy without trying :blush: Apart from the R10 and DT770/80 Pro, I just don't seem to like closed headphones that much. The W5000 were also a let down. :no:

I didn't like the L3000 when I heard it. I wonder how the E9 sounds compared to it, but am too poor and chicken to buy without trying :blush: Apart from the R10 and DT770/80 Pro, I just don't seem to like closed headphones that much. The W5000 were also a let down. :no:

Have you tried the edition 9 yet?