PPkiller

D1 opamp.. share ur findings...

nope.. only have 1... i can lend it to you...

Thanks, pls check pm.

I've run into a problem wrt the DAC opamp socket. there's not enough clearance on the sides for the browndog adapter to be seated properly. the stock opamp comes on raised adapters with extended legs. How do i solve this problem? can i just get an IC socket from SLT which should give me enough height to clear the blocks at the sides?

Yes. Get a couple more for the L/R and buffers as well if they are cheap, so that rolling is easier and you don't risk damaging the sockets on the D1.

One last question: if i run the D1 using the line out, does the L/R and buffer opamps affect the line-out sound as well?

No.

Edited by mimi

Thanks Mimi, i believe the IC sockets are abt $1 each at SLT. are there sockets of various qualities or they're all of the generic variety?

Hmm.. i can almost swear the line-out sounds better after swapping the L/R and buffers. maybe it's all in the mind..

single-to-dual adapter just arrived. that means AD743 can begin operations very soon... hehehe...

Thanks Mimi, i believe the IC sockets are abt $1 each at SLT. are there sockets of various qualities or they're all of the generic variety?

I've not bought the IC sockets from SLT before, don't think that there'll be much diff though.

Hmm.. i can almost swear the line-out sounds better after swapping the L/R and buffers. maybe it's all in the mind..

The line-out still works even if you leave the L/R and buffer sockets empty.

They're the stuff that the opamps sit in.

I tried the AD743s this morning and they seem to drive the HD650s a lot better than the 4841-2. everything sounds more natural, the hardness that i was talking about earlier was gone. Bass is better, but still not where it can be. still using the 6643 buffers, will try the 6655s soon.

I tried the AD743s this morning and they seem to drive the HD650s a lot better than the 4841-2. everything sounds more natural, the hardness that i was talking about earlier was gone. Bass is better, but still not where it can be. still using the 6643 buffers, will try the 6655s soon.

the 6655s have less bass compared to the 6643s. For more punchy bass, you can try the AD8397s in the buffers.

Yeah, heard the 8397s are good for bass as well. but i think in the long run, i wanna get another pair of headphones that's easier to drive to go with the D1. Prob the Ultrasone Pro 750 or the new Pro 900. i've auditioned the older proline 750 run by the stock D1 and it sounded amazingly good!