Sign in to follow this  
seamammal

Anyone sighted a good portable CD player

Hi to all,

Pardon me if this question has been raised before, but has anyone spotted a good portable CD player on sale? I am looking for something similar to the Panasonic SL-CT720 / CT-820. Combing thru the forums the latest sighting of such device was Aug this year, but 4mths is a long time & they may not be available anymore.

Went hunting for one yesterday, all i can find were those crappy ones without line-out. As to the better ones,

Harvey Norman, Courts, Best Denki confirm don't have. Jade Gift shop(Tampines) also dun have. Clementi Electronics Centre replied the panasonics are already discontinued.... so no future stock coming in. Only left Mustafa haven't go down to take a look yet...

Edited by seamammal

Saw the following at Sim Lim Tower today.

Panasonic SL-CT700, SL-CT800 and SL-CT790.

All good stuff.

Happy shopping.

I know... Was there last sunday, went to the same shop, it is the only one in that building with ample discman stock......BUT i don't trust the shop cause got the feeling they are out to chop people. CT800 quote me $250, CT710 $230, another old sony model display set quote $240, quite laughable lah... esp for the sony model... that kind of price is only 4-5yrs ago when that model just came out, some more a display set at that price?? Also the attitude of the shop keeper turned me off...

On that same sunday i was also at Mustafa and People's Park. Mustafa don't have. People's Park also dun have. Darling Photo said the last CT720 set they sold was like ard $120. So a CT710 which is supposed to be less than CT720 was quoted by the Sim Lim Tower shop as $230... how to trust them?? Of course if some people desperate enuf may willingly let them chop carrot head... but definitely not me.

Anyway already asked friend to look out for a discman in Japan since they will be there for a while during job station.

Edited by seamammal

... Just to add to the above... if u guys intend to look for CT720 or CT820 at the above mentioned Sim Lim Tower shop... don't bother, cos they also dun have.....

Bidded and won a 2nd hand SL-CT790 at Yahoo auction at $70 recently.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/auction/234639420

Saw another SL-CT790 at www.ebay.com.sg under Slim Panasonic Portable CD Player at $90.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Slim-Panasonic-Port...1QQcmdZViewItem

look better condition than mine but don't seem to have the remote.

do the panas have lineout?

My SL-CT790 have line out.

Most good Panasonic CDP have 2 versions: with line out (Japan version) and without line out (USA version).

You need to check before you purchase it.

NOS Sony D25s

http://aloaudio.com/store/catalog/index.ph...dddba434359f763

Very tasty, very tempting & very expensive.

NOS Sony D25s

http://aloaudio.com/store/catalog/index.ph...dddba434359f763

Very tasty, very tempting & very expensive.

Yes it is..... many many yerars back i tried one of these sony discman from a friend, about the same exterior design, all metal casing, looked and felt like a piece of hardware rather than some plastic-ky toy....But since it is made in the late 80's/early 90's era doubt it's able to play CDR/CDRW....

Yes it is..... many many yerars back i tried one of these sony discman from a friend, about the same exterior design, all metal casing, looked and felt like a piece of hardware rather than some plastic-ky toy....But since it is made in the late 80's/early 90's era doubt it's able to play CDR/CDRW....

Usually certain brands and batches of CDRs does work well with my old Discmans. You might need to burn them and try. I am using Philips, TY and Mitsubishi without problems. Old stock from 2-3 years back though as once I found them to work, I bought more just in case the newer ones don't work.