bpribadi

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9

Recently I bought Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 for my brother. After 'break-in' for about 11 hours (I know it might not be long enough), I tested it with Chesky 'Ultimate Demonstration Disc' and some of my favorite songs.

IPB Image

The more I listen to it, the more I like it :) This is a balanced, natural, and sweet sounding headphones, with a very good bass. The sound characteristic is different from Grado, where ESW9 more to the natural, warm, and slightly laid back sounding. While Grado is towards the bright and 'upfront' sounding. ESW9 is the type for long hours listening that less likely will cause ears fatigue.

Please note that ESW9 impedance is 42 ohms. I tested it with my headphone amplifier, so no problem with driving it. With my Creative Zen Micro Photo MP3 player, I have to set the volume to about 70-90% from max to get the normal listening level (usually 50-60% from max with my Crossroads Mylar XB). And so far I have no problem with sound quality driving it with my Creative Zen (portable MP3 player). Not sure if MP3 player with single AAA battery would be able to drive it properly.

I have ATH-EW9 and ATH-CK7 at home. I also ever listened my brother's ATH-EC7 and ATH-CM7Ti. So I've some experienced with Audio Technica cans. I also had Grado RS-1, that used to be my reference.

The Bass

I like bass:) I usually not impressed with other audio technica bass from the models above, but ESW9 is very different. The bass is very good, just nice, big enough, but never overcome the mids. I like Grado RS-1 bass, with that as reference, I can say the ESW9 bass is very good, big and balanced.

The Mids

The mids is very important, and ESW9 excels. I think the mids is what audiophile wants, thick and warm, sweet sounding. Vocal sounds very good.

Added 6th Dec 2007:

After more listening, I think the mids is somewhat a bit too thick and warm. Well I do like it, but I must say it is depend on personal preference. Something like tube sound, which is actually slightly colored sound, some may like it, some may not.

The Highs

I would say, silky smooth highs. Never sound sharp or harsh. Tested with cymbal, loud saxophone, and vocals with lot's of 'sss', all sound sweet and natural. For the highs, I prefer ESW9 than Grado RS-1.

ESW9 sounds balanced throughout the audible spectrum, kudos to Audio Technica!

Details

Currently i use Crossroads Mylar XB for my portable. Compared to Mylar XB as an isolated in-ear cans, I think I can hear slightly more details with ESW9. I know it is not fair to compare them, as ESW9 priced about 5x Mylar XB, but this is just for your information only, that ESW9 is good with details, with Grado-RS1 only wins with a slight margin.

Imaging

The imaging / sound stage is also good, but not as good as Grado RS-1. As with all closed chamber headphones, it is not easy to make a natural sounding, closed headphone chamber. Grado excels in imaging, one of the factor I think, is because it is an open design, no chamber coloration. But the ESW9 Hokkaido cherry wood chamber does a very good job, so far the imaging sounds natural, but not as open and wide as Grado-RS1. Grado sound stage is more open and wider.

Comfortability

The relatively narrow lamb skin pad is quite comfortable, it doesn't make me perspire (in Singapore non air conditioned living room). But I felt it pressed my ears a bit hard, would be more comfortable if AT loosen the head band a little bit.

My verdict for ATH-ESW9 (for < SGD 600 price range):

Sound quality: 9

Imaging: 7 (changed at 6th Dec 2007)

comfortability: 7

Added 6th Dec 2007:

After considering Grados with open design type, I think Grados has better imaging, wider and more open, so I brought down the imaging to 7, which is about the average imaging for this type headphones. What I mean by imaging is impression of how wide and realistic the stage imaging we can imagine from what we heard.

Sound quality brought down to 9, because the mids somehow close to tube sound which might not suite some people. But for me, I like the mids, and would give a 10 :)

Pros:

Quite natural and sweet sounding.

Well balanced sound throughout the audible spectrum.

Very good bass.

Good build and quality.

Good price for the quality.

Cons:

Head band press a bit hard, not the most comfortable headphone.

Might not 'byte' for rock music (Added 6th Dec 2007)

For the price, it is Highly Recommended!

Might get a pair for myself ;)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by bpribadi

Wow nice review there. Very clear and concise. One question though. Is the Rs 1 the only Grado with good soundstage because that's the impression I'm having from reading the various forums. Also any idea how the ESW9 would stack up against other closed portable cans like the BeyerDynamic DT250 or the Sennheiser Hd 25? But I must say the ESW9 are one of the sweetest looking cans I've ever seen!

Thanks! Well, I think sound stage wise, open design cans such as Grado will have the advantage over the closed design. I don't know any other cans with open design. But you can try Grado SR-80, the review is also good. But open design is only suitable in quiet environment.

I've never tried BeyerDynamic DT250 or the Sennheiser Hd 25. But I ever listened Heady's Beyerdynamic DT880, a few years ago. Recalling from my memory, I think it was warmer than ESW9, but need to compare it again to make sure.

Cheers!

i would like to hear them myself.

are you using the pimeta with it?

which opamp are you using in the pimeta?

from what i read, its pretty coloured (the esw9)

Edited by gene83

Yes, Panasonic PCDP and Pimeta. Op-Amp AD 8066. It also sounds good with Zen Micro Photo. So I guess not the difficult type.

Not sure if there is any headphone that is not colored :))

Starting from the microphone used by the singer, there is already mix and match, they will match the mic that has color suitable for the singer. After that during mastering, effect such as reverb added to the tracks, which add more color.

I really don't know what it means by not colored -_- What I know is, there is no uncolored audio device, even cable will add color to the sound quality.

What I want is nice colors :)) Music to my ears, that's it :))

Do you mean covering the whole ear by circumaural? Yes, but just nice for me. The diameter is not to big.

The lamb skin is ok, not warm. Long listening is quite comfortable.

Regards,

Thanks for the review :)

What's the retail for the ATH-ESW9?

I think it is not proper to disclose pricing here, you may check with Hung Brothers, SLS 3rd level. Just roughly it is in the SGD 300 to 400 price range.

Hi bro. bpribadi. So good to see one of your quality reviews. Keep them coming.

I'll be doing some side by side listening soon and give a short and quick comparison between the ESW9's versus the ES7's. However, from memory, comfort wise, the ESW9's are quite a little better than the ES7's. ES7's clamp a little too hard on your head.