bpribadi

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9

Any chance you can compare it with the ES7?

Considering the price difference of x2.

I heard ES7 maybe last year, so not really a fair comparison. But If I recall correctly, it is day and night. I mean, I don't like ES7 sounds, it is not a warm headphones. Even if ES7 selling at 50% discount, I simply won't buy, because the sound is just not my type. ESW9 is totally different in flavor. Simply put it this way, If ES7 is chilled coca cola, ESW9 is hot creamy cappuccino :) Got what I mean ;)

I heard ES7 maybe last year, so not really a fair comparison. But If I recall correctly, it is day and night. I mean, I don't like ES7 sounds, it is not a warm headphones. Even if ES7 selling at 50% discount, I simply won't buy, because the sound is just not my type. ESW9 is totally different in flavor. Simply put it this way, If ES7 is chilled coca cola, ESW9 is hot creamy cappuccino :) Got what I mean ;)

I beg to differ. ES7 to me sounds pretty warm and is no way bright. The mid bass region sounds a little bloated as in a slight frequency hump at that region and bass is not as refined as that on the ESW9. ESW9's also have a more laid back midrange as compared to the ES7 and most importantly, insturment separation and imaging on the ES7 is a tad weaker than the ESW9. Overall, both headphones have a small soundstage with the ESW9's edging the ES7's out a little. But other than that, they don't sound vastly similar nor immensenly distinct. Its just a different sound but exhibiting the same warmth somehow with the ESW9 probably quite a bit wamer and lusher and more laid back as opposed to the more in your face presentation by the ES7.

I beg to differ. ES7 to me sounds pretty warm and is no way bright. The mid bass region sounds a little bloated as in a slight frequency hump at that region and bass is not as refined as that on the ESW9. ESW9's also have a more laid back midrange as compared to the ES7 and most importantly, insturment separation and imaging on the ES7 is a tad weaker than the ESW9. Overall, both headphones have a small soundstage with the ESW9's edging the ES7's out a little. But other than that, they don't sound vastly similar nor immensenly distinct. Its just a different sound but exhibiting the same warmth somehow with the ESW9 probably quite a bit wamer and lusher and more laid back as opposed to the more in your face presentation by the ES7.

What I heard was a brand new ES7, therefore maybe sounded bright. Maybe the sound characteristic would change after break-in. Therefore I said, it was not a fair comparison, because I tested the ES7 long time ago :)

Thanks for your comments! :)

What I heard was a brand new ES7, therefore maybe sounded bright. Maybe the sound characteristic would change after break-in. Therefore I said, it was not a fair comparison, because I tested the ES7 long time ago :)

Thanks for your comments! :)

Haha, you're welcomed...Anyway, the meet would solve your queries. Just pop over and have a listen to the cans. :cans:

Thanks for the review :)

What's the retail for the ATH-ESW9?

Its retailed at $369 from Farle Enterprise, SLS 3rd level... (It's labeled $399 though?)

Just got this yesterday... lol

@bpribadi --> Tnx for the review! It was one of the reasons why I got this pair!..

Don't know about your preferences but the mids does not sound too thick for me...

My preferences may change after awhile though...

The ESW9 is great for listening to classical , jazz and acoustic tracks (These are the genres that i'm listening to recently).. Guess it goes well with soft and ambient songs..

I agree with the details part...

At 30% volume (on the ESW9), I can even hear the pianist hitting the keys clearly... (It matches up with my aegos at 80% volume)

For a musician like me, I guess the details really helps if you want to perform the same song without any scores :))

Comfortability wise.. Yea, I feel that it presses abit on the ear, but it is comfortable wearing for long periods..

But after long periods, taking off them, I get the feeling that something is still on my head..

I just noticed something..

It says that the wooden housing made from the Japanese Hokkaido cherry tree...

But the back of the box states: "The housings are made of 100% African Paddock wood."

Just to clarify.. Is the African Paddock wood the Hokkaido cherry tree? :?

Edited by NobodyHome

Are there different boxing ?

Mine are mostly japanese words.. with a little english words.. couldn't find the 100% African Paddock wood or hokkaido cherry tree.. maybe that's in japanese..

Edited by xander

Not too sure abt the different boxing...

Mine looks like its been pasted over the original box...

There are descriptions in English, France, Deutch, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Chinese Simplified and another Chinese Traditional I think..

Listened to razer's ATH-ESW9 today at the headphones meet. Using a PC -> M-Audio Transit USB DAC -> Musical Fidelity headphone amp.

And I totally agreed with bpribadi's review. It's a great set of headphones for listening to jazz and classical. I found it a little too bright with cymbals etc, but it was much better than an AKG I listened to before the AT. This perceived brightness at the very top end, may be due to the equipment for all I know.

At this price range, I think the ATH-ESW9 is a worth a consideration. Good job, Bram.

Guest dragonboy

Bought my ATH-EWS9 at stereo causeway point for only $349.... :rclxms: Stated on the price that you have to check with their staff to get special promotion price. I think its due to some price protection.

Listened to razer's ATH-ESW9 today at the headphones meet. Using a PC -> M-Audio Transit USB DAC -> Musical Fidelity headphone amp.

And I totally agreed with bpribadi's review. It's a great set of headphones for listening to jazz and classical. I found it a little too bright with cymbals etc, but it was much better than an AKG I listened to before the AT. This perceived brightness at the very top end, may be due to the equipment for all I know.

At this price range, I think the ATH-ESW9 is a worth a consideration. Good job, Bram.

Hi Heady, thanks for your comments! More opinions is better for all of us who are interested with it :)

yo, is a old post which i dug up...

anyway, how does it sound, compare with MS1? Tried out the ESW 9 sometime back, and it make me eyeing for this new pair of headphone soon. So, how does it compare with MS1?

hi blackmouth, i had the chance to listen to the EWS9 at yodobashi for half an hour and the MS1 at stereo.

i found the MS1 sound a little veiled, the mids and lower range in particular. the EWS9 was much more balanced and smooth, and clarity was better.

but just when i thought i had narrowed it down to the ESW9, i decided to try the AD900 and ..... it took my breath away. it's really nice. open and airy, very comfortable (though they look scary). everything's so clear with the AD900.

yeah, it looks like a monster. and i looked pretty dumb i think but .... the world doesn't bother you much when you are embraced by all that wonderful sound!

So sorry to dig up this old thread, but can someone show me some picture of the headphones in more details, in areas like the extension of the heaphones, the cup and the cushion.