Sign in to follow this  
gene83

Singapore Headphone Meet 2007 Impressions!

Wahh...gfgfmoses, that noodle eating pic!?!?! Why?!?! Lol....

IPB Image

Let me guess, the left and right channel was mixed up? The red and black should be swapped the other way round...

Actually the label of L & R were wrong in the first place. :doh: I was told by the dealer that bel canto was rushing the manufacturer to ship out the first few batches as it was due. :ppth: So the connection was actually correct B)

Anyway, nice pictures.... haiz.... please include "dealers" (at most ban me from bringing anything...) during the next meet. :ppth:

you organize the next one? :rolleyes:

woohoo.... pics are up!

earmax pro...the little amp that could!

sadly... not one amp there could drive the K1000's properly... but just wearing those always makes me smile :D

wow nice pictures yotiao :D ...

I see familiar faces and of course many new peeps too

Hope u all had fun :D ...

Hi all

Thanks to the organisers for a good meetup! :rclxms:

I didn't get to go around to all the setups, had to be picky, this CDP impressed :

IPB Image

The UE9s were pretty good too, slightly tilted to the mids/highs, very detailed, good paired with a tube headamp :

IPB Image

A slight correct to the description, this is not the Mini Reference, but the Stealth XXX :

IPB Image

The XXX is the bigger brother of the Mini Reference, and it costs double. Please contact me if you are interested in a demo at 90910700.

This little bugger sounded much bigger than its size :

IPB Image

This amp was very good, detailed and neutral, smooth sounding :

IPB Image

Yotiao, thanks for the kind comments. From the previous meet, I found that it is better to bring your best gear to let others appreciate it. For headphone based systems where everything is clearly audible, it is best to get the noise floor down so that the music can come through. Even with very simple equipment, very high fidelity is possible. I hope you guys enjoyed. :cans::grouphug:

sadly... not one amp there could drive the K1000's properly... but just wearing those always makes me smile :D

The Diva headamp should be able to drive the K1000, but no one tried it.

Is it the same diva amp that was at the meet before this that was organized by mackie at AnythingAudio? I remember that diva amp clipping with the K1000 back then.

Oh yes!!!...

The ATH-ANC7 was a real revelation.... noise canceling cans that actually work and sound great!

Not sure if its the same version, I believe Lim has updated the Diva since then.

I noticed there were a number of Chinese bros this time round, including Yotiao, all had very impressive equipment. Its good to see more new comers. One commented to me that Yotiao only started in this hobby only 2 years ago. Talk about fast learners!

Thanks to gene83 and yotiau for organising this meet. Thanks to razer for organising the venue. And thanks to gfgfmoses for the pics.

It was a really good meet, my first one. I was over-whelmed by the high-end stuff there, got to resist.... Got to lock up my wallet. :D

I really enjoyed cmk's rig but man, that is some serious rig. I listened to a recording of a duo of a contrabass and an organ playing. Wow, the bass. Smooth and clean. This was thru his ATH-W100.

I also enjoyed listening to razer's ATH-ESW9 on the xjazzdummy's Musical Fidelity X-CAN v3 amp with PC and M-Audio Transit DAC as source. Good stuff, very enjoyable and more affordable. :P Looks like tubes are in my taste.... poor wallet.

I noticed some "groupings" - those who prefer clean crystal clear sound, those who prefer more a musical less fatiguing sound and finally, the portables group.

I also found that the younger members' taste in music is not mine.... :)) I must remember to bring my own music at the next meet. Kinda hard to listen to details in heavy rock music. Must be sign of old age, I was easily the oldest person there.

Edited by heady

Thanks again to gene83 and yotiao for organising the meet. This is the first time I'm attending such a gathering, and seeing all of you in action.

I was very impressed by cmk's setup, with the Audio Magic power supply thingy, the Denon player, the Benchmark DAC1, Diva amp, and AT woodies. You see, I never liked the AT house sound, but cmk's setup changed my impression of AT. Everything was there and well-balanced, without sacrificing dynamics. You don't even need to turn it up loud to get excited. Vocals, classical, hard rock, it handled everything! Best part of all, most of the components aren't that expensive (other than the Audio Magic). cmk said the Audio Magic contributed a lot to the setup. Must try, must try ...

The AT-ANC7 (also cmk) was also very surprising for most of us who tried it. Most had that "noise cancelling crap?" look before putting it on, and the OMG look after that. This is a must buy for me. Great alternative to IEMs for travelling: same isolation, no ear ache or wax, headphone soundstage, great sound!

A pity the right input of my modded Creek OBH-21SE died after a while. Huangyong did the mod (a simple mod according to him) and brought it on Sat itself. Those who heard it all thought that it was pretty good for a Creek. Will bring again for next meet.

For those keen on Slim Devices stuff, once in a while they will have an online sale. When I bought mine, "LIVE365" works as promo code, but not sure if still valid. The local agent (the Benchmark guys) will honour the warranty even if you order it in from US.

Yeah it was real nice to see some old faces and meet some new ones. Or shall I say put a face to the nicks. As always I enjoyed the company more than the equipment :-)

wow nice pictures yotiao :D ...

gfgfmoses was the camera man, and I'd resized the photos so they looked a bit blurred. :innocent:

A slight correct to the description, this is not the Mini Reference, but the Stealth XXX :

IPB Image

Description corrected. :whistle:

I was very impressed by cmk's setup, with the Audio Magic power supply thingy, the Denon player, the Benchmark DAC1, Diva amp, and AT woodies. You see, I never liked the AT house sound, but cmk's setup changed my impression of AT. Everything was there and well-balanced, without sacrificing dynamics. You don't even need to turn it up loud to get excited. Vocals, classical, hard rock, it handled everything! Best part of all, most of the components aren't that expensive (other than the Audio Magic). cmk said the Audio Magic contributed a lot to the setup. Must try, must try ...

X2. This shows how important the power supply in an audio chain, even in humble headphone setup. This is the weakest link in my setup. :think: Oh yes, and source ..

Yeah it was real nice to see some old faces and meet some new ones. Or shall I say put a face to the nicks. As always I enjoyed the company more than the equipment :-)

Rameish, gene83 (aka yuujin) got the sticker but none of us remember to request everyone in the meet to write their nicks on it. :shocking::blush::bash:

Great equipment set for a meet and great pictures.

thanks to the organisers for making this happen - as well as everyone who contributed their wonderful equipment!!!

don't think the Diva amp could drive the K1000 - had requested for mine to be tweaked for that - started clipping around 1130 onwards .... my Diva is still with TS - Steve mentioned that the transformer needed to be replaced ... still waiting for it, will bring it to the next meet.

:DD