Sign in to follow this  
BlackCatz

What is a good source?

Hi im new to this hobby, just wanna know what is considered a good source? Ive got a ipod a panasonic sl-ct700 cd player and a dvd player. (my ipod has all wav files)

Hmmm... a good portable source would be the iMod.

As for a home set-up, well... dedicated CDP ranges from $300 - $20K.... so 'good' is relative :)

And there's always vinyl. hehe.

Not very helpful I know. But perhaps we can give you better recommendations based on your existing set-up.

Guest Cruise

I thought it wont be necessary to put .wav files into an ipod.. Mainly because there isn't much (negligible) sound difference between mp3s and .wav files, prior to the ipod..

As you move towards a higher-end gear, the differences in sound will than be more obvious..

BlackCatz, of course you can. Even with the stock iPod earbuds.

If you have the space a good compromise is the Apple lossless format.

Guest Cruise

BlackCatz, of course you can. Even with the stock iPod earbuds.

If you have the space a good compromise is the Apple lossless format.

I think its base on individual. I can't hear much if not any differences between Apple lossless and 320kbps mp3, while the source is a 4th Gen Ipod. And of cos lossless would take up more space than mp3.

Im using a 6G and i can hear the background very clearly between wav and mp3, the mp3 lacks background music and even worse in some cases it even blurs out the instrument e.g a drum beat. :cans:

Though im planning to get a amp before i even touch a can headphone :D Im planning to get the little dot mark 1 to help improve the sound to take the load off the DAC in the internal ipod :wub: Then next the cans! Is it advisable?

Edited by BlackCatz

Guest dragonboy

It would be a significant diff when you load your songs in WAV and you would appreciate it even more if you have a good amp and a good earphones. :rclxms:

I heard the new 6G can't be modded for imod cause it doesn't have a vcap in the first place or something, its somewhat the best option for those who don't wanna do the mod cause the output from the DAC is already very clean. And what is the difference between the line out and the headphone jack out quality? which one is better?

Edited by BlackCatz

Both ALAC (apple lossless) and WAV are lossless so they sound same.

although ALAC is a compressed file so it has a smaller file size and it also support ID3 tag.