Sign in to follow this  
slwiser

iTransport from Wadia

Check out this killer device from Wadia for 349$ US that you set your iPod into and it bypasses the internal D/A and amp for high end sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/wadia-itr...l-ipods-281975/

It would appear so...I think it may be limited to the 6g though. Maybe Apple did something inside to allow this type of operation.

Guest dragonboy

I'm a fan of wadia. Is the distributor Absolute sound? Is it available in S'pore already? :rclxms:

Imagine the potential of having a huge library of full resolution music that you can extract with a good DAC.

At the posted price, it definitely is worth a more thorough look.

Exciting!

I will stick with Squeezebox, if I want to stream music. iPod screen is too small, if only on the wadia there's a screen showing what songs are playing, and a remote to navigate from there! Hehe, I am daydreaming..

Doesn't seem interesting at all.

I speculate what iTransport is basically a "mini-computer" that reads the music file(data) off the HDD of the iPod then plays it with its own DAC and blah blah blah, instead of the iPod playing the music file.

Might as well invest in a better DAC?

Less you want that thing sitting in your living room. There is the Squeezebox for that...

Edited by ezzo

I also wonder how it works.

I'm guessing the iTransport has AAC, MP3, ALAC to PCM decoders built-in in addition to its ability to read/interpret the iPod file structure. A S/PDIF converter and DAC then output coaxial digital and analogue, respectively. You would then be able to use your DAC of choice with your iPod achieving eargasms limited only by the size of one's wallet (whatever is left of it!) :grin:

Edited by milkpowder

I also wonder how it works.

I'm guessing the iTransport has AAC, MP3, ALAC to PCM decoders built-in in addition to its ability to read/interpret the iPod file structure.

Yep. Even my xbox360 can do that with just a ~60Kb patch :D

It displays music files like how iPod does it, by Artist, Albums, etc etc.

Making the iTransport support multiple codecs should be pretty easy too.

Ridiculous how the some Head-fiers talk about this thing :rclxub:

Maybe its just me..

Edited by ezzo

If only someone would make a portable version of this thing. It could be better then an iMod. I don't see the advantage of this desktop version over an Xbox 360 or a simple PC.