Sign in to follow this  
Prince Leia

Grado GS 1000 Owners

Hhmm...I seem to be getting comments from people who don't own the Grado GS 1000 or are not fans of these headphones !?!

Original Topic: "Grado GS 1000 owners, share your views on these super cans"

Hmmm, I guess reviews aren't exactly accurate because I feel that many people give a pair of cans great results due to them paying alot of $$$ for it or probably because everyone else over at say head-fi or head-case says so. (note: its not a general assumption but its the feeling i get after browsing through forums all over the net....)

Trying the GS-1000s from RA-1's, HA-02s, Gilmore Lites, GS-1s, and the list goes on with many sources and amps, what I'am hearing is the same old boomy bassed and laid back mid sound. Its just not balanced. I know what you say when we talk about system synergy but nope, I ain't getting any of it on my GS-1ks. I've got two pairs to try them both out and nope, they both sound the same out of any system. Its just not my cuppa tea.

Oh but wait, they do sound a little better when I'am listening at lower volumes. I guess its because of the bass that makes more presence in the music thus at lower volumes, it doesn't feel as overwhelming as opposed to hearing them cans at my usual volume. But note, its just a slight improvement. Other than that, these cans are crap.

Edited by razer

razer

Well buddy... GS 1000's,you either love or hate these cans!

Opinions are like a**h***s! Everybody has one. And usually they are full of Sh**!

Peace.

I traded my GS1000 because it became too bright and I could not listen to it any longer... that time I used Corda HA-2. Later on I borrowed another pair of GS1000 to try with the GCHA amp it was ok but bass too boomy and a little dark. Ok, so yesterday another chance to hear the GS1000 (thanks to Prince Leia) with the zana deux tube amp, I was pleasantly surprised that it's neither boomy nor bright, the bass response was fast & transient, and midrange was not recessed, got more juice. It was very nice and I quite like it a bit. Compare the result with GCHA, it's ear bleeding bright this time...

Yes, system synergy definitely play a part. But I won't be getting another pair of GS1000 simply because I prefer PS-1 even better, LOL.

Thanks yotiao for your wonderful hospitality...it was an enlightening experience! :-)

The Zana Deux/GS 1000 combo was a heavenly match...I Like!!!

Have to get myself a Zana now!

Yeah! the "Heavy Metal" PS-1 is the Bomb! I was blown away by its sound & price! LOL.

Cheers ;-)

For those who find the foam to be irritating try this: I cut off the part of thin socks from the ankle up. I pulled the foam pads off the headphones and put the sock through the foam pad and attached it around the wood part where the pad attaches and then reattached the pad. Then I pulled the sock up and around the pad and tucked in the extra so you can't even tell the sock wasn't made to cover the pad. (The sock has to be somewhat elastic).

I love my GS1000. I am using computer audio into an Empirical Audio Offramp Turbo2 USB to S/PDIF convertor into CI-Audio VDA-2 DAC into Headroom Max 2004.

Using computer audio allows me to use the equalizer in the playback program, Foobar2000, to reduce the treble in the 7 khz range by 4 db also slightly reducing the lowest bass by 2 db. This addresses all the problems of tone that some people complain of while leaving the grand soundstage.

I'm now waiting on my order of the Eddie Currant Zana Deux tube amp to bring my system even closer to perfection.