bpribadi

Listening: Shure SE530, Mylar X3i, Mylar XBi, Sony MDR-EX85LP

I just bought Mylar X3i and Mylar XBi, the new Mylars that received rave review on the net.

Also got chance to listen to Sony MDR-EX85LP, and the super expensive Shure SE530.

This is not a proper test or review, just personal opinion.

Mylar X3i and XBi on Head-fi

Shure SE530

Sony MDR-EX85LP

Also comparing them with my favorite Mylar XB (the old version).

The new mylars, XBi and the X3i, have been broken-in for about 15 hours. Maybe not long enough :) But frankly speaking I'm dissapointed with the new 'i' series <_< The old Mylar XB and MylarThree, are better in my opinion.

In-short, the new Mylar 'i' series are far from balance. The bass and mid bass is simply too much and out of proporsion -_- The X3i is somewhat still 'listenable', but the XBi to me is a waste of money. I'm really wondering how come some people can gave them highly recommendation for these models.

The Bass is too much and boomy, the mids is muddy, and the highs is very dull, far from balance and natural sound. To some extend I can still listen to the X3i model, but I cannot tolerate the XBi.

Will comment more after longer break-in.

The Sony sounds good enough for me, nice balance, smooth sounding, with reasonable good bass. Maybe it doesn't 'byte' for rock music, but classical and jazz fans might like it. Sensitivity is lower than other headphones in the test.

The Shure, despite of having 3 micro drivers, it is surprisingly very sensitive, about 15% more sensitivity than the Mylars, so I have to set the volume lower. And it sounds very good, balance throughout the spectrum, very good bass, with good separation. It is also very comfortable for me. But the price sets me off :sweat:

So this is purely sounds comparison, without putting the price into the factor.

Will write more when time permits :)

Edited by bpribadi

Thanks Bram for sharing your thoughts. Presented as usual in your impeccable style.

I too agree that the new mylars aren't that good as the previous batches. However, there is a x3lb or less bass version which is comparable to the x3. I guess the new models are catered to the bass loving punk rock/alternative guys.

On the SE530, it represents the sennheiser sound signature due to the roll off at the highs. But the one that wins is the fit. I have never had a better fitting universal iem. But for classical, the UE Triple-Fi 10 does have better mids.

Thanks Bram for sharing your thoughts. Presented as usual in your impeccable style.

Thanks Heady! Hope useful others :)

Guest dragonboy

Below $100, I'll settle for the Sony MDR-EX85. At least it doesn't breakdown like 3 times in less than a year!!! That's what happened to my friend's Mylars. :cry:

For triple drivers, I'll prefer the UE 10pro for its separation in the mids and detail soundstage though the fitting wasn't that fantastic.

Fantastic and detail reviews, bpribadi!

Edited by dragonboy

Guest dragonboy

are u talking about the old or new mylars? the new x3is are supposed to be sturdier =) MUCH sturdier

Time will tell... They normally don't live more than 90 days. If you're lucky maybe 120 days ...tops.

are u talking about the old or new mylars? the new x3is are supposed to be sturdier =) MUCH sturdier

Not true, the old mylar is better and sturdier. The new mylar is a disappointment from both sound and build quality.

I have (had) all the mylars. I once bought both the old mylar X3 and XB. Then I pass the mylar X3 to my dad, and now using XB for already more than 6 months without any complaint. I just crumpled them in my bag, no pouch or case, and it seems durable enough. My Dad and brother also using the old mylar, so far no complaint.

The new mylars, I bought both X3i and XBi. After using for a few hours, the plastic housing all detached from the driver, both left and right. Very bad quality :bash: The XBi, still ok, because only test for about 30 minutes, and decided to sell as it doesn't suit my taste. The new mylars are very BAD :bash:

good review .. would be nice if you could have included UE TF10 into the group. That's where I eventually ended up after starting from the mayler X3

Not true, the old mylar is better and sturdier. The new mylar is a disappointment from both sound and build quality.

I have (had) all the mylars. I once bought both the old mylar X3 and XB. Then I pass the mylar X3 to my dad, and now using XB for already more than 6 months without any complaint. I just crumpled them in my bag, no pouch or case, and it seems durable enough. My Dad and brother also using the old mylar, so far no complaint.

The new mylars, I bought both X3i and XBi. After using for a few hours, the plastic housing all detached from the driver, both left and right. Very bad quality :bash: The XBi, still ok, because only test for about 30 minutes, and decided to sell as it doesn't suit my taste. The new mylars are very BAD :bash:

I happily owned an XB for over a year and wanted to look for another pair of good value-for-money phones. So I went to Jaben to try the X3i (the only model now selling). Price has gone up to $70.

First impression on acoustic music was very disappointing - very muddy bass and mid-range, hardly any highs to speak of :o These were Jaben's showroom pair, so they must have been well burned-in (at least, the rubber buds look literally well-worn). Next to my XB which I brought along, the X3i looked cheaply built and sounded way behind n SQ. My cheapo $30 ATH CK32 easily trounces it (the CK32 sounded screechy when new, but once I fixed a suitable pair of rubber seals, the SQ improved immensely in bass and mids).

Unless Jaben's trial pair are a dud, I'll give the new Mylarones a very wide berth. The young assistant at the shop was actually encouraging me to get the UM1s instead. Sounded nice, but not that much better imo than my XBs. Mabe I'll get the cx300 instead. Anyone knows if this online store is selling fake: http://www.onlineshop.com.sg/

I happily owned an XB for over a year and wanted to look for another pair of good value-for-money phones. So I went to Jaben to try the X3i (the only model now selling). Price has gone up to $70.

First impression on acoustic music was very disappointing - very muddy bass and mid-range, hardly any highs to speak of :o These were Jaben's showroom pair, so they must have been well burned-in (at least, the rubber buds look literally well-worn). Next to my XB which I brought along, the X3i looked cheaply built and sounded way behind n SQ. My cheapo $30 ATH CK32 easily trounces it (the CK32 sounded screechy when new, but once I fixed a suitable pair of rubber seals, the SQ improved immensely in bass and mids).

Unless Jaben's trial pair are a dud, I'll give the new Mylarones a very wide berth. The young assistant at the shop was actually encouraging me to get the UM1s instead. Sounded nice, but not that much better imo than my XBs. Mabe I'll get the cx300 instead. Anyone knows if this online store is selling fake: http://www.onlineshop.com.sg/

Proceed with caution on any CX-300 without a Sennheiser 2 years warranty sticker on the blister pack selling below SGD$90, insist on Sennheiser's warranty card too.

The fakes look too real.... :bash: but sound damn fake. :D