lkjh00

Refurbished Ipod on Apple Store!

After resisting it for so many years, I'm going to buy my first Ipod on the cheap from Apple Refurbished Shop.

It's a Refurbished Ipod Photo 60GB (4th Generation or is it 4.5?) at $218/-.

The main reasons are to convert my 100 CDs to Apple lossless format which i think 60GB is sufficient and the other is to pair with my newly bought Grado SR80 headphone.

Any comment on this Ipod Photo 60GB sound quality when pair with Grado SR80? Is it a good buy?

Thanks

I got my 4G refurbished 60G ipod just after CNY from the SG Apple Store. Definitely a good buy. Also saw the 5G ipod video (but only 30GB) refurbished is offered at the same price. Got a refurbished 5G ipod video some time ago but have since given it to my wife. Condition of both the refurbished ipod were like new, no complaints.

Compared to my ipod Video (5G), the sound quality is definitely poorer on the 4G based on the headphone out. Couldn't compare on the Line Out as my iPod Video is GMod. If you don't intend to have it modified and don't use apple lossless (or FLAC, which means you have to have it rockboxed), then maybe you want to consider the 30G ipod Video. The display of the 5G ipod video is also sharper.

I have sent this 4G ipod to Red Wine Audio for iMod a week ago. Hope to receive it soon. When it is back I will compare iMod with my 5G ipod Video, which is GMod.

I got my 4G refurbished 60G ipod just after CNY from the SG Apple Store. Definitely a good buy. Also saw the 5G ipod video (but only 30GB) refurbished is offered at the same price. Got a refurbished 5G ipod video some time ago but have since given it to my wife. Condition of both the refurbished ipod were like new, no complaints.

Compared to my ipod Video (5G), the sound quality is definitely poorer on the 4G based on the headphone out. Couldn't compare on the Line Out as my iPod Video is GMod. If you don't intend to have it modified and don't use apple lossless (or FLAC, which means you have to have it rockboxed), then maybe you want to consider the 30G ipod Video. The display of the 5G ipod video is also sharper.

I have sent this 4G ipod to Red Wine Audio for iMod a week ago. Hope to receive it soon. When it is back I will compare iMod with my 5G ipod Video, which is GMod.

Hi, learned from internet that this ipod Photo 60Gb can hear distortion sound of hardisk drive spinning through earphone and it lacks bass due to the not so good Wolfson audio chip! What's your take on these?

What is the minimum acceptable burn rate format for sound if I decide not going the AIFF and Apple lossless ways?

Thanks

any idea if the refurbished ipod are available in REAL LIFE stores?

not online, but in real life.

Only Online, I believe.

any idea if the refurbished ipod are available in REAL LIFE stores?

not online, but in real life.

i don't even see the 5.5g ones anywhere... you can try simlim, but they'll most likely be brand new and not refurb.

Hi, learned from internet that this ipod Photo 60Gb can hear distortion sound of hardisk drive spinning through earphone and it lacks bass due to the not so good Wolfson audio chip! What's your take on these?

What is the minimum acceptable burn rate format for sound if I decide not going the AIFF and Apple lossless ways?

Thanks

i'm using a photo 60gb now... i don't notice any harddrive spin at all, and the bass is mighty fine (after imod)... i can't tell you how it was like before the mod, but the harddrive spin definitely wouldn't be affected modded or not...

minimum? it's up to your own ears. I'd say 320kbps, but then again almost everything I have is lossless now.

wow, what's the damage for sending for imod at red wine? All this being said, modding and not modding is for usage without any amps right? for the ultimate portability? I guess that is no point amping an imod?

The cost for the imod and other information on the imod can be checked at Red Wine Audio's website:-

http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

You also need to add the cost of sending it by post. How much depends on whether you want to send by normal parcel post, registered or express.

Using the 4G imod, you need a headphone amp as the headphone jack becomes a dedicated line-out so you will need the amp for the volume control. If you opt for the 5/5.5G iMod, you will need the special Lineout Dock cable with BlackGate from ALO. So, a 4G iMod is cheaper

My ipod was sent from S'pore to RWA on 13 Feb and I got the email from Vinnie that the iMod iPod was shipped on 4th Mar. Today I check with US Postal Service and it shows my parcel left US on 6th Mar, so I expect to receive it next week. This will give an idea of the timing.

If you are using the ipod for casual listening and not bothered about the SQ but about portability, don't bother with iMod. The refurbished 5.5G ipod from the Apple Online Store will be a better buy than the 4G, even though it is 30G compared to the 60G of the 4G refurbished ipod. After all, if only casual listening, 128 bitrate ripping is acceptable and 30G holds a lot of songs and music.

But if you are into good quality sound, then the journey is more complicated.....iMod, high bitrate ripping, loseless, headphone amp, good headphone or IEM, custom moulds, upgrade cables etc,. Watch out for your pocket :rclxub: ..................

Edited by csleena

I received my iMod yesterday, 10 Mar. I sent from S'pore on 13 Feb. Vinnie received the ipod on 21st Feb and shipped to me on 4th Mar.

Vinnie informed me the turnaround time for the modification to the ipod will take about 3 weeks but in my case it only took 12 days!

The improvement gained from the mod is well worth the wait and money.

On the other hand, you can always find second hand iMods on local headphone forums.