Sign in to follow this  
phuque

128kbps vs 224kbps for loud/trance music

I can understand that encoding classical, instrumental and jazz music at high rate, such as 224kbps or higher will ensure good clarity that is close to the original CD. However have you ever noticed difference with loud music like Linkin Park or electronic dance / trance music? The impression I get is that they are not very detailed to start with.

I can understand that encoding classical, instrumental and jazz music at high rate, such as 224kbps or higher will ensure good clarity that is close to the original CD. However have you ever noticed difference with loud music like Linkin Park or electronic dance / trance music? The impression I get is that they are not very detailed to start with.

wont that not only depend on what kind of source you are playing from? or what headphones or earphones you are listening with?

Yes, Linkin Park at 128kbps is crap. I use loseless for almost everything now. Lazy to compare between all the different mp3 bitrates or between mp3 and loseless too.

actually i think it depends on the equipment that you use. the better the equipment, the more obvious the difference. although loud music may not seem to contain much detail, there is still noticeable difference between low and high bitrates. even the distortion of a guitar has details.

actually i think it depends on the equipment that you use. the better the equipment, the more obvious the difference. although loud music may not seem to contain much detail, there is still noticeable difference between low and high bitrates. even the distortion of a guitar has details.

Actually at low bitrates, I realised loud passages from loud music distorts easily, which IMO is worse than losing clarity and details in classical music.

Actually at low bitrates, I realised loud passages from loud music distorts easily, which IMO is worse than losing clarity and details in classical music.

spot on, the distortion at low bitrates is damm irritating. that's why i rip lossless FLAC even for trance, u can feel the deep bass details without the muttering distortion.

Edited by sghound

When the mp3 format was released and hard drives then have smaller space capacity(like 40GB-80GB) as compared to present hard drives where we now have 1TB space capacity, most people have their music mp3 files compressed to 128kbps or 192kbps. Now, since most HDs as well as mp3 players have large space capacity, I recommend going for 320kbps and have it hi-res to 48Hz. Especially for serious music listeners.