Sign in to follow this  
heady

What do you think?

Think this topic has been like revisited countless amount of time lol. Personally I cant tell a difference between and high quality silver and a normal copper cable when I am using portable systems. I gave up portable HiFi due to the cost you pay isnt as good as the sound they return for me. I do hear difference when I upgraded from my stock copper to pure silver for my home system. The difference is not mind blowing and to really say it is probably preference. However it didnt took me a long time to actually pick out the difference so yes I believe there is but does that improve your audio experience versus the amount you pay is another question.

Edited by tassardar_

seriously speaking, what does a hifi interconnect do? Recover lost frequency?

Studios uses the beldens/mogamis/canares. Why are we spending so much on interconnect when it all began with cheap stuffs.

Everyone agree that garbage in= garage out. And since at the beginning cheap cable are used, why are we spending so much on our hifi cables.

Actually not all studios use the generic cables like belden/mogami/canares etc. Hugo for one uses their own cables in the mastering and recording. More info on their site: www.hugodisc.com

The hifi interconnect can never recover lost data, though it may colour the music by truncating certain sections of the frequency response so that other parts of the spectrum stand out. An example is the Klotz GY107. Highs are rolled and low bass very lumpy thus in the process allowing the mid bass to stand out. This may add warmth to the music but then again, the listener is actually losing certain parts of the frequency range.

I have been trying out the Acrolink interconnects. To me, they allow the infomation to be transferred from the CDP to the Amp with minimal loss. I deduced this from the increase in the amount of details (texture, decay etc) and also that the volume knob is turned down from its usual level when listening via the Acrolink, even though the music is playing as loud.

The Acrolink interconnect allows the music to sound organic and natural compared to the Beldens/ Canares.

Certainly, revealing cables cause the flaws in your system to stick out like a sore thumb. The next stage of the game will be to use tweaks in the system. It is quite fun especially, with tweaks that allow the noise floor of the system to plunge- articulate music in a sea of pitch black background.

I use footers from TAOC and accessories like the RCA shorting pin from Acoustic Revive. They work for me. At the end of the day, it is the music that matters and every single component in the audio chain, including cables is important to achieve audio bliss.

The Acrolink interconnect allows the music to sound organic and natural compared to the Beldens/ Canares.

this mileage might vary greatly depending on individual preferences. some find the pro cables more organic than the acros.

This wire-ly thing: a question of 'return on investment'? My experience is no return, all investment! hahaha! But seriously improvement there is especially on a home system. Dont know about a portable ( wonder why the fashion guru don't come up with a hearing aid that looks like a headphone). Recently I took the trouble to terminate well a canare wire as an extension wire to my headphone - to be a lounge lizard. I also picked up an off-the-counter Daiyo OFC copper factory-termianted extension for $12/= at the same time. After some hearing, I decided to stick with the Daiyo and cold-store the other. I am still waiting for a friend in need of a pair of wires. I would try to sell him a pair of hangers; and who knows, I most probably shall give them to him for free. But good friends are hard to come by these days! :lol:

this mileage might vary greatly depending on individual preferences. some find the pro cables more organic than the acros.

I am actually referring to the 7N-A2070 and 6N-A2400 series of the Acrolink cables, though the cables in the lower range are also quite good but not as startling.

Can you suggest any pro cables that sound organic? I would really like to try them out.

Actually not all studios use the generic cables like belden/mogami/canares etc. Hugo for one uses their own cables in the mastering and recording. More info on their site: www.hugodisc.com

The hifi interconnect can never recover lost data, though it may colour the music by truncating certain sections of the frequency response so that other parts of the spectrum stand out. An example is the Klotz GY107. Highs are rolled and low bass very lumpy thus in the process allowing the mid bass to stand out. This may add warmth to the music but then again, the listener is actually losing certain parts of the frequency range.

I have been trying out the Acrolink interconnects. To me, they allow the infomation to be transferred from the CDP to the Amp with minimal loss. I deduced this from the increase in the amount of details (texture, decay etc) and also that the volume knob is turned down from its usual level when listening via the Acrolink, even though the music is playing as loud.

Certainly, revealing cables cause the flaws in your system to stick out like a sore thumb. The next stage of the game will be to use tweaks in the system. It is quite fun especially, with tweaks that allow the noise floor of the system to plunge- articulate music in a sea of pitch black background.

I use footers from TAOC and accessories like the RCA shorting pin from Acoustic Revive. They work for me. At the end of the day, it is the music that matters and every single component in the audio chain, including cables is important to achieve audio bliss.

You are right about Hugo there. To add on, TELARC used Monsters cables :sweat::sweat::sweat:.

Ermm, how do you know if the Klotz "Highs are rolled and low bass very lumpy thus in the process allowing the mid bass to stand out"? Maybe this is the actual sound the engineer recorded since most studios uses the generic pro cables? Or perhaps this trait is inherent from other equipment? Whereas the Acrolink works in the opposite way thus giving a more pleasant sound?

As mentioned, the preference of sound is up to individual. Some find A better some find B better. In fact, i find that there are no cables that are better than another. Its just that they are different sounding, hence some ppl even prefer the hanger. Its like you sacrifice some and gain some.

You must be real lucky to find the cable for you :yes::yes: , many ppl are still looking for thiers. But have you tried other cables in the belden/canares lineups? Perhaps one can be same sounding at a fraction of the

Acrolink?

Edited by rko

Regarding the part that Klotz's "Highs are rolled and (the) low bass (being) very lumpy thus in the process allowing the mid bass to stand out", i confirm this is so by playing a few disc from different labels and genres and they all portray the music with such characteristic when i am using my Klotz. This is even so when i use the Klotz on my Tuner.

I have also tried the cables on others' system and they all present the same characteristics.

Every individual has his/her preference in the way the music is portrayed. That is why there are so many brands out there in the market.

It will really be godsend to me if there are same sounding cables from the Canare/Belden or other pro lineup :D

I am actually referring to the 7N-A2070 and 6N-A2400 series of the Acrolink cables, though the cables in the lower range are also quite good but not as startling.

Can you suggest any pro cables that sound organic? I would really like to try them out.

personally i do not like cables to have any nature. i wanna know that they dun exist. if i'm looking for anything organic, that must already come from either my amps or speakers. i want my source and cables to be transparent. so it depends on what u looking for.

well here's a couple of simple but effective recipes that replaced my kimber selects. specswise the belden has superior double-shielding and lower capacitance than the kimbers. specs dun always give auto results but in this case it did. the other canare has only single-shield but the star-quad arrangement acts like another shield, and this can be soldered shotgun, also with great results.

Belden 1505F w/Furutech FP-106 Rhodium rca or w/canare RCAP (some setups prefer this simple crimped 75ohms termination)

Canare L4-E6S w/WBT-0110 NextGen pure copper rca.

again, it might or might not work for u, just a couple of recipes i picked up from some japanese studio engineers.

Thanks for the recipe. The Belden 1505F/Canare RCAP should be convenient and easy to obtain from LHS.

I started off by choosing my speakers/ headphones to be "plain and boring" sonically and then selecting the cables based on my preference.

Edited by david watt

Thanks for the recipe. The Belden 1505F/Canare RCAP should be convenient and easy to obtain from LHS.

do take note the different terminations will give vastly different results.

both cables are easily obtainable from LHS and both can be used with RCAPs. the 1505F is crimped but the Canare star-quad is soldered.

do take note the different terminations will give vastly different results.

both cables are easily obtainable from LHS and both can be used with RCAPs. the 1505F is crimped but the Canare star-quad is soldered.

Hi, can you please explain what are the different results that can be obtained due to different terminations? Thanks.

Hi, can you please explain what are the different results that can be obtained due to different terminations? Thanks.

different results to your liking and different setups. i could explain warm, but that might be neutral to someone else, and vice versa. i could explain bright, but that might be neutral to someone else, and vice versa.

so all i will say is that there's no way of knowing unless u try it yourself. and u might pleasantly surprised with at least one the combos suggested.

Edited by sghound

different results to your liking and different setups. i could explain warm, but that might be neutral to someone else, and vice versa. i could explain bright, but that might be neutral to someone else, and vice versa.

so all i will say is that there's no way of knowing unless u try it yourself. and u might pleasantly surprised with at least one the combos suggested.

Oh, wat u mean is that 2 different ways of terminating the cables (crimping or soldering) will give u different flavours to the sound izzit?

Oh, wat u mean is that 2 different ways of terminating the cables (crimping or soldering) will give u different flavours to the sound izzit?

yes. it will also be different with the different RCAs used.

personally i do not like cables to have any nature. i wanna know that they dun exist. if i'm looking for anything organic, that must already come from either my amps or speakers. i want my source and cables to be transparent. so it depends on what u looking for.

well here's a couple of simple but effective recipes that replaced my kimber selects. specswise the belden has superior double-shielding and lower capacitance than the kimbers. specs dun always give auto results but in this case it did. the other canare has only single-shield but the star-quad arrangement acts like another shield, and this can be soldered shotgun, also with great results.

Belden 1505F w/Furutech FP-106 Rhodium rca or w/canare RCAP (some setups prefer this simple crimped 75ohms termination)

Canare L4-E6S w/WBT-0110 NextGen pure copper rca.

again, it might or might not work for u, just a couple of recipes i picked up from some japanese studio engineers.

Very pricey plugs for Canare.... :rclxms: