Sign in to follow this  
williamneo

Cmoy IC TL072 vs OPA2227

I understand that most people will find OPA2227 is the best fit IC for CMOY.

But recently I try out this TL072 on CMOY circuit, seem that TL072 has a better detail and soundstage then OPA2227. Anyone out there has try TL072? Please give some comment.

the thing about TL072 is that it has a rather high DC offset, more than 5mV. Yes it's still considered quite small, and perhaps still tolerable by your headphones.

opa2227 on the other hand has a very good DC performance, it is a precision opamp after all.

TL072 is a generic dual FET input opamp.

iirc TL072 has a better slew rate performance

max output current is about the same iirc about 20 mA

Probably another difference is in terms of noise and THD, and personally (and biased) it's kinda icky using TL072 an old opamp in a design lol

After 1 day of listening to TL072, My final conclusion is, Opa 2227 is still better , for my point of view, Amplifier = Amplified the sound to a louder volume without much change of the original sound from the source. Both chip has good soundstage and detail. But when come to full knot of the volume the TL072 has a cut off somewhere at 3/4 full turn whereby opa2227 has not cut off till full turn. So in term of this I would prefer OPA2227 is a better chip then TL072. Just my 2Cent to share with you guy who has the intention to select chip among this 2. :)