Sign in to follow this  
dreamie

my first DIY tube preamp

wub.gif

user posted image

After struggling with it for 20 hours over 3 days, I have completed it. party.gif

Made using Aluminium and MDF.

Cost:

Gold RCA plug - $0.60 each ($2.40 total)

Knobs - $1.20 each ($4.80 total)

VR - $1 each ($4 total)

Switch - $2

Screws - $6

Tube socket - $1.20 each ($2.40 total)

O-ring for tube socket - $0.40 each ($0.80 total)

3-pin power plug - $1.50

Fuse holder - $2

Fuse - $1

Satisfaction - Priceless kicking.gif

I brushed the aluminium for the brushed look and MDF was mildly sanded. A dim blue LED for indicating power status. (don't wanna blind my eyes) Powered through the mains. w00t.gif

Now just requier a good can to complement this yeah.gif

that looks fantastic!

you might want to shield that transformer tho.. tongue.gif

what sort of design is that based on dreamie?

and what cans are you using with it now?

It is based on 6J6. High voltage rail is only 66V at max. It is built by raptor of CMF. I modified the circuit for better sound quality, groundign and ease of use and control. Based on the schematic here: http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k055.html

It is built on a PCB. More pre-modded info can be foudn in this thread: http://forums.natriumtech.com/viewtopic.php?t=17648

I'm using cheapo $20 Audio Spec headphones. dry.gif .. the Sennheiser MX300's price tag is tempting me though blush.gif

that looks fantastic!

you might want to shield that transformer tho.. tongue.gif

Hehe.. thanks. biggrin.gif

Making a transformer shield using aluminium one of these days. Currentnly embarking on a transistor amp project, followed by a tube amp. Transistor one will be based on the LM3875, whereas tube will be based on the EL84 driven by ECC99. May make another tube preamp based on the 5687 and using tube rectifier, but the price of the choke is putting me off yucky.gif

sennheiser mx300?!

with THAT sort of equipment you'd better start saving for something a little more serious.

check out our classifieds forum for some more manly equipment to match that manly amp.

sennheiser mx300?!

with THAT sort of equipment you'd better start saving for something a little more serious.

check out our classifieds forum for some more manly equipment to match that manly amp.

any recommendation? headphone.gif I'm on quite a tight budget now blush.gif Still got lotsa amps to build...

what's your max budget?

what's your musical preferences?

Currentnly embarking on a transistor amp project, followed by a tube amp. Transistor one will be based on the LM3875, whereas tube will be based on the EL84 driven by ECC99. May make another tube preamp based on the 5687 and using tube rectifier, but the price of the choke is putting me off yucky.gif

LM3875? For speakers right? Must be the 20W Gainclone monoblocks. Hehe.... Superbly simple project! But they're said to sound very good. =)

One thing to note, it's solid state, not transistor based. The LM3875 is an audio power amplifier; Like an opamp with alot of juice. It's not a transistor like the BD139/ BD140's.

what's your max budget?

what's your musical preferences?

budget unset, but hop-efully below 200.

listen to all kinds of music, from MOS to jazz to oldies to rock to classical. headphone.gif

Currentnly embarking on a transistor amp project, followed by a tube amp. Transistor one will be based on the LM3875, whereas tube will be based on the EL84 driven by ECC99. May make another tube preamp based on the 5687 and using tube rectifier, but the price of the choke is putting me off  yucky.gif

LM3875? For speakers right? Must be the 20W Gainclone monoblocks. Hehe.... Superbly simple project! But they're said to sound very good. =)

One thing to note, it's solid state, not transistor based. The LM3875 is an audio power amplifier; Like an opamp with alot of juice. It's not a transistor like the BD139/ BD140's.

yea.. gainclone happy.gif

i always call solid state transistor... easier to differentiate between tube and sand state.. happy.gif

if oldies classical and jazz are what you listen to, i'd recommend an audition of the akg 501. it's about 140 used or 250 new IIRC.

You DIY guys just make me so jealous!

Good job, why don't show your creation over at the diyer garage at echoloft too.. I'm sure they'll appreciate your work.

If you're building more amps, you might want to consider the TDA7294 chip too. More powerful at 100w.. and it's cheap, at $5 a piece I think. Sound wise it sound rather good. If you built them in mono block version & I'm sure they'll beat those $1000 integrated amp.

if oldies classical and jazz are what you listen to, i'd recommend an audition of the akg 501. it's about 140 used or 250 new IIRC.

would like one with acceptable bass. I sometimes blast punk rock. beer.gif hehe.

Thx for your input. happy.gif