yotiao

Mini meet at tbln's - 26/04/08

Had a great time at tbln's place, did some experiments, did some listening. Thanks so much to tbln for graciously offering hosting this meet and having us (Barradio, laukinkon, Nick, yotiao) at your place. Not much impressions for the moment, hope you guys can chime in a bit...

Rounding up the equipment list:

RSA Apache

2 x Eddie Current Zana Deux (for balanced experiment)

Cambridge Audio 840C CDP

Zero One Audio's prototype CDP

Marantz SA-11S1

and lots of headphones (balanced vs single-ended, a few balanced K701s, a few balanced HD650; SE: AD2000, L3000, GS1000, DT880, Edition 9, PS-1, K501, etc)

Initially we intended to do a tube amps shoot-out between Singlepower and Eddie Current, but ended up no one remember to request tbln's for a listen of his Singlepower. :(

Some photos, unfortunately I am still a newbie at digital photography, so didn't take much photos :blush:

What to say? I like the balanced setup, fuller sounding compare to its single-ended setting. Driving the single-ended headphones I didn't find it has much body for my liking.

[attachmentid=3973]

I wish I was allowed to buy this headphone

[attachmentid=3974]

The balanced ZD experiment failed, mine sound softer compared to the other one, even swapping cables, using new tubes the gain setting in this two ZD was different (??). -_-

[attachmentid=3977]

The Zero One's prototype CDP single-ended output to Apache, and SA11-S1 balanced out to Apache. I didn't do a serious shootout.

[attachmentid=3976]

I quite like the L3000 out of Zana Deux, dynamic but not as wild as the Grado PS-1 on some tracks. On other hands, the little brother AD2000 was impressive, will get it in the future :bash:

[attachmentid=3978]

DSC_8537_2.jpg

DSC_8546_2.jpg

DSC_8549_2.jpg

DSC_8551_2.jpg

DSC_8558_2.JPG

Thanks to tbln for graciously hosting us and the rest of you for making this an informative and enjoyable meet.

It was pure headphone orgy and I was a little groggy after the meet due of too much intense listening. The sheer number of good headphones available for audition at the meet is incredible; same models even comes with dif cables to compare!

I was impressed with the Apache's lightning quick, rock steady sound and dead silent background. Fabulous with the balanced RAL cabled 650. Whoever thinks solid state is uninvolving should try this rig.

On the Dana, the PS1 is both dynamic & liquid - though the bass is not behaving at its best, I can see what the fuss is about. The AD2000 is also superb with the Dana. I'm not a fan of the CA840; too dry and lean for my taste and I highly suspect the Dana could have sounded even better with a more analog sounding source.

The L3000 is simply gorgeous to touch and look at.

Edited by laukinkon

Must have been whale of a time :)

They said upsampling produces a lean and, in the case of the 840C, plasticky sound. I suspect that your Yammy would have given it a nice balance.

Great photos. Cant wait for all your impressions :)

Well it was a LOT of fun.... Thanks to Tbln for his hospitality...

To start with the "worst".... that would have to be our "balanced Zana Deux Deux" experiment.. For whatever reason couldn't get it to sing. 1st levels not balanced. Even after swopping tubes, no diff. Then when we finally got the levels about equal, there was a strange vibration sound out of one channel... But when we went single ended, no such issue.....

The balanced apache, plus whichever cans we tried with it, was nice. Controlled power all the way through.

I went through a whole bunch of cans with the single ended Zanas: PS-1, L-3000, GS1000, AT2000, HD650, AKG 701s.... Very very fun and educational. Finally got to hear what the fuss is all about re: L-3000 and PS-1s. They are easily the most dynamic headphones I've heard. Very classy.

GS1000 is the most laid back Grado I've ever heard. "Interesting". Need more time with it to see what can/needs to be done to get it to swing.

Nicest surprise was the AT-2000. Despite being in with the BIG boys, it gave a good account of itself.

Great company and exciting toys! What more can one ask for?

Top three items to try on my agenda were the Zana Deux, PS-1 and of course, the L3000.

The ZD was certainly quite a sight to behold and sounded very nice as well. It delivered the beautiful sound of tubes in spades. The amp also impressed me with its iron grip over the generous bass of the PS-1. Nice. :rclxms:

The PS-1 was heavy on the head, but was the easily the best sounding Grado I have heard to date. It brings a healthy serving of bass to the Grado sound.

The sight of the L-3000 would make the knees of any headphone lover soft. Gorgeous leather everywhere and great build quality. While I did not have too much time with it, the sound was certainly quite good. Detailed and full. Comfortable on the head as well.

Thanks to all for making the time and effort.

Agree with laukinkon, the balanced RAL cabled HD650 was fabulous out of Apache, very rich sounding, liquid flowing, and great extension at both ends. I like it better than the balanced Equinox cabled HD650 which sounded slightly warmer and constricted in term of soundstaging. I could see why some claimed that the RAL is the best headphone cable for HD650.

I too not a fan of 840C CDP, a bit dry and lean for my taste. Many headphones out of 840C + ZD sounded dry when first listen. But after a while, my ears got used to it, it was not too bad. :))

Another nicest surprise was the AD2000, so smooth and comfortable on my smaller head, would be great for collection :))

osocan, I did very little listening, so not much for the impressions :blush: . But it was fun, I enjoyed the company more so than the listening :doh:

Thanks so much for making this happened :)

Initially we intended to do a tube amps shoot-out between Singlepower and Eddie Current, but ended up no one remember to request tbln's for a listen of his Singlepower. :(

AAARGGHH!!!! I was wondering why the SPs were just sitting there..... :rclxub:

The one time I decide to be polite and not ask too much...... :cry:

Thats why both amps were waiting there.

Thought you guys were OD on headphones, so I didnt ask. :rclxub:

Maybe next time. :grin:

May I know if any of you have compared the AD2000 to the W5000? Care to share your impression. I'm impressed by the AD2000 during the meet but the W5000 looks great on the their site.

BTW, does these AT phones cost a lot less in Akihabara?

BTW, does these AT phones cost a lot less in Akihabara?

You can use Yodobashi's website to compare prices with what you find at Bluetin. In my experience, Yodobashi (right next to Akihabara JR station) has the same prices as other shops if you choose to hunt for them in the streets and back lanes of Akihabara.

Here's the link for the AD2000:

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/27782992.html

Edited by phuque

Thanks phugue. Prices is over S$900 though, that's quite a premium over Japanese eBay that's going for $700+.