Sign in to follow this  
Goondu

Anyone here build and sell DIY HP amp?

I am currently using Musical Fidelity setup which doesn't come with a HP jack.

Does anyone here build and sell DIY HP amp? Hopefully better than the X-can V2 amp

Anyone?

Better...hmmm......what's your measure against the X-cans? Care to elaborate?

Btw, what's your budget? What other head amps U've auditioned that fancies U or otherwise? This will help us to streamline our suggestions.

Better...hmmm......what's your measure against the X-cans? Care to elaborate?

Btw, what's your budget? What other head amps U've auditioned that fancies U or otherwise? This will help us to streamline our suggestions.

Well, I have nothing to compare a X-can V2 to except for a Creek OBH-11. X-can is definitely better. But somehow, I still find it a tad grainy.

But the budget I set a side for the hp amp is about $250-300. Hence I think my best bet is a 2nd X-can V2 amp.

My setup is a MF A3 amp and CDP.

Music taste varied but lean towards more on POP, rock and vocal

Tried various headphone - HD600, Dt-880, SR 225 and 325. Lean towards the DT-880 and SR325

U're in luck Goondu cos I have experience with your MF gears. I think we conversed in echoloft before.

Tube roll X-cans with Mullard E88CC/CV2492 and get rid of the stock Philips Jan 6922 tubes. Sibilance, graininess and brightness will be drastically reduced; bass will also have a better bounce to it; mids are fuller and warmer. A PSU is a no-brainer and a must for partnering X-cans. All round improvement and soundstage dimensions will expand.

Throw in a pair of Tara Labs Ref Gen 2 and hear the lovely mids and body of MF A3CD comes alive. Treble info has greater sheen to it instead of white noise. Deep bass extension is just a tad lacking but the higher bass regions are as punchy and tight as ever, retaining the A3CD signature in this area. U can also use Kimber Silver Streak but body will be compromised slightly. However, U will gain in transparency, airness and bass definition. I wonder what interconnects U're using now. I've tried this config with Senn HD600+Equinox cable, Beyer DT831/770/880/990 with success.

Edited by Mackie

Hi Mackie. yep we did comminucate befor in Echoloft.

Wow sounds good. You mean I have to buy a X-can V2 and do the above mods?

Or do you know some one who can do a DIY with good results?

What about a Gilmore amp? Any experience with them?

Cheers

Hi Mackie. yep we did comminucate befor in Echoloft.

Wow sounds good. You mean I have to buy a X-can V2 and do the above mods?

Or do you know some one who can do a DIY with good results?

What about a Gilmore amp? Any experience with them?

Cheers

Hiya, it's not a mod lah. Just remove the panels, slide out the pcp, remove the tubes by a light twisting action and replace. Very easy. I can send U a link that gives U a step-by-step procedure with pictures to show. Or google search "Nick dangerous" for this link.

I like the Gilmores. Evil-zen owns a V2 which costs more than S$1000 and ablaze is selling his for $450. Both beyond your budget.

Edited by Mackie

I know. Ablaze's Gilmore is actually a copy of te Gilmore model, I think.

But sadly out of my budget.

Will keep looking.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Say, what's your latest hfi gadgets or want so far? Ver yaddictive hobby this is

biggrin.gif

It's a REAL Gilmore, just BUILT by someone else.

It's a REAL Gilmore, just BUILT by someone else.

slightly different part. eg. the use of Cardas rcas, a more expensive Alps Black Beauty vs an Alps Blue, and some better caps in some parts, notably. same pcb that antness used for his Gilmore V1.

Actually an alternative is to do a cap upgrade to the X-Cans as well - hmm, there's an X-Cans V2 for sale in the classifieds that has these mods done by pinkfloyed of head-fi (he's the guru on X-Cans mods). Then compare the 2 and sell your stock X-Cans (that would keep you with in budget). BTW the modded X-Cans V2 I talking about already comes with some nice 1970's Mullards ECC88C, these a slightly better than the CV series as well.

However, Ablaze's Gilmore V1 is IMO what I would go for - at S$450 it's within your budget after you have sold off you X-Cans.

If you do wish to keep with your X-Cans, then try contacting firefox to do a cap changes as per pinkfloyds website - you can also get some mullards in SG.

Either way all 3 options are within your budget.

Persoanlly, I would go for the Gilmore V1. BTW the V1 sounds better than the V2 IMO.

It isn't actually a "Gilmore V1" - only the circuit boards were provided to the builder of the amp. Also, the "upgraded caps" in that amplifier are neither in the amplifier circuit or the power supply. They are part of the servo loop that nulls DC voltage on the output of the amp -- absolutely nothing that affects sounds. Whoever buys the amp might want to put in some film caps in the power supply where currently none are present - these are important for high frequency response.

Edited by antness